PDA

View Full Version : '69 Camaro exhaust opinions wanted...

Hrod382
11-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Anyone on here have one? I'm sure there's one or two of you :fingersx:.

Shortly I'm going to have an exhaust system built and I'm unsure of what route to go with the exit. I don't want them straight out the back but I don't want them out directly behind the back tires either. I want maybe an inch or so of the tip to actually show, currently it exits about where the quarter and tail panel meet. Basically what I'm wanting is opinions/pictures of what looks good and projects the sound well.

Question 2: It's got a wimpy 350 good for about 1 hp per cube and I'm going to try and go the route of an ls1 but I can also see me building a strong 406, I'm going to doubt I'll go the big block route. 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch? I want it to grumble...

Question 3: I've read so many topics all over on forums on what mufflers to go with. Some swear by the flowmasters some swear by cheaper alternatives. Since I'll only be doing this once I don't want to spend a fortune (@ 19 I don't have a fortune to spend) but I also am willing to pay for what would suit me the best. Which mufflers perform and have that mean grumble at idle? I was thinking about hooker aerochambers but haven't read much about what people thought of them.

Thank you PT.com for your abundance of well informed car guys.

Ralph LoGrasso
11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Unless I'm reading wrong, it sounds like you're wanting something that look similar to the Mule's exhaust.

https://www.pro-touring.com/mule/DSCN6848.jpg

https://www.pro-touring.com/mule/DSCN6853.jpg

The system was built by Stainless Works, and I'm pretty sure they sell it as a catback. www.stainlessworks.net

If you're building your own, I'd personally stay away from the flowmasters. Some of their mufflers sound great, but are very restrictive. 80 series comes to mind.

Also, if done right--side exiting (right before rear tire) exhaust can be made to look really good.

Hrod382
11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow, thanks a ton Ralph. I was looking for Mule pictures because I figured he'd have a sweet exhaust setup on it but couldn't find anything that showed off your view. I'd say that's most definetely what I'll do. I like them pointed down like that so I can stir up some dust when I feel the urge.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the restriction on flowmasters. I'll probably go with the aerochambers, they were on my dads old Chevelle and I loved its sound.

I found a clip of them with a 406 (xe284 cam) which would be a lot like what I'll build unless I can get a killer deal on a wrecked 98-02 fbody.

http://www.londonfbody.com/videos/idle.avi

rumblee
12-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Ive got hooker aero chambers on my nova and i love the way they sound. I noticed definite gains when i switched from dynomax super turbos to the aero chambers on my old 300hp 350.

Charley Lillard
12-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Spend whatever it take for Stainless Works. They put the extra effort into building a good system

zo66
12-08-2005, 12:54 PM
any issues with the x pipe and drive shaft or hanging the turbos with the hotchkiss sway bar? i too loved the look of this and ordered a set,had dynamax that dumped on the ground by the back seat its just too loud.went with the chambered any feed back on them would be appreciated.