PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum flywheel on a t56/t56 in 2nd gen

Rocko71
11-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Any of you guys using an aluminum flywheel on your t56? Its about time to get a flywheel so I can have my engine balanced, and I was thinking of an aluminum flywheel. What are your opinions on this? While we're on the subject, are any of you running a t56 behind a standard small block (non LT1 or LS1) in a second generation camaro? I am interested in the hydraulics setup and crossmember. I havent got a tranny yet, but I'm getting a t56 from an LT1 car. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

JodysTransmissions
11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Any of you guys using an aluminum flywheel on your t56? Its about time to get a flywheel so I can have my engine balanced, and I was thinking of an aluminum flywheel. What are your opinions on this? While we're on the subject, are any of you running a t56 behind a standard small block (non LT1 or LS1) in a second generation camaro? I am interested in the hydraulics setup and crossmember. I havent got a tranny yet, but I'm getting a t56 from an LT1 car. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I'm using an aluminum flywheel behind my ZZ502/502 with a Richmond 6 speed. If I had to do it all over, I would do it again.

First, you will need to multiply your differential gear ratio and your transmission 1st gear ratio for your torque multiplication.

My car stats are: 3.42 differential and 3.27 1st gear.
3.42 X 3.27 = 11.18

If you are not in this range 11 or higher, your engine won't like pulling out from a dead stop. You will also need to use a fluid damper too.

You can expect fast revs and great road racing feel if you choose this path. Talk to George or Red at McLeods for your application.

Regards, Jody

Rocko71
11-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks, I had heard alot of different opinions on this... Ive got 4.10s, so this would probably be a good move. Ill have to see what the first gear ratio is on a t56 to be sure... thanks for the info!

Van B
11-30-2005, 05:16 PM
LS1 Fbody t56s have a 2.66 1st gear. It looks like most T56 applications had 2.66. A couple had 2.97.