PDA

View Full Version : Best rear shocks 69 Camaro

fishface
12-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Hi, I am going with the DSE 2" drop leaf springs on my street driven 69 Camaro and wanted some input on the best shocks. I see that they pair Koni shocks with them and wondering if that is a good choice or are there better options. Also something that's not red! Lol. Yeah, I could paint them. Thanks in advance for any input.

77thor
12-16-2017, 05:17 PM
I'm running Bilstein's and love them... No experience with Koni.

Bad Bowtie
12-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Fishface,
Here is my experience with shocks, I went with a Hotchkis TVS system on my last Camaro build which carried Bilsteins at the time and the ride and handling were very nice. I see Hotchkis now switching over to Fox Shocks which I'm planning on with my wife's car but I don't have the car at that stage of the build yet to evaluate. I do recall on my other build (67 Camaro) the first shocks I chose were QA1's but they wouldn't fit into the shock hole on Hotchkis lower control arms so I had to go to the Bilsteins. Was happy with that setup too. I think you can still get the Bilsteins that Hotchkis previously used cheaper than their new Fox Shock 1.5's. On the other hand I thought DSE used JRi shocks but that would probably be overkill on a street driver. Let us know how it works out. :twothumbs

BB

BMR Sales
12-18-2017, 09:26 AM
ViKing Double Adjustable

bret
12-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Hi, I am going with the DSE 2" drop leaf springs on my street driven 69 Camaro and wanted some input on the best shocks. I see that they pair Koni shocks with them and wondering if that is a good choice or are there better options. Also something that's not red! Lol. Yeah, I could paint them. Thanks in advance for any input.

If I remember, DSE uses a 175# spring. You will want a good monotube shock for consistency and durability. You will also want not only adjustability, but enough force to control the rebound of that spring. The shocks are the brains of your suspension. they have the greatest single influence of any component over ride quality and handling performance. Obviously I am biased, but here is what I would put on it if it were my own car: http://www.ridetech.com/applications/musclecars/1967-69-camaro-rear-smooth-body-shock-hq-series/
Make sure the DSE mounts are the same as the OEM mounts. If not, we can still accommodate, we just need to know length dimensions and mounting style.

Here is some good tech on monotube shocks: http://www.ridetech.com/info/tech/faq/#24 [Scroll down to the shock section]

Rod
12-19-2017, 04:42 PM
street driven 69 Camaro and wanted some input on the best shocks.

there is only best for you, as a street driven car I would suggest a single or double adjust shock only, any more than that and it becomes complicated, stay away old technology shocks like(kyb, Monroe, Bilstein, Qa1) and look at new design shocks like Ridetech, Viking, Hotchkis and JRI, now what is your budget? and that will also help with the "best for" decision, NEXT, and any plans for the cars future? track day? autocross? just a daily?

fishface
12-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the great replies all! Rod, my car is just a cruiser, 2-3 days a week and car shows etc. I do like the thought of getting something a little better for it and leaning towards the Ridetech HQ as both you and Bret suggest. I don't mind spending a little extra for quality parts.

simon455
12-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Ridetech would be hard to beat. Priced very reasonable for what kind of new technology shock you get as mentioned earlier. Customer support is also great.

MAGONSTERZ68
05-21-2018, 07:36 PM
HOTCHIKIS 3" Drop leaf rear advertised 175 rate spring with fox 1.5 shocks at all four corners.
Very little down travel available in the rear, always bottoming out, intersections, train tracks, dips etc, add a full tank of gas only compounds matter and practically lives bouncing off rubber snubbers. U bolts have dented top rail noticeably.
Contemplated notching the frame rails but think it would just allow rear end housing to slam into floorboard.
May have to re-arch to 2 inch drop or maybe even step up to 200 rate to mitigate bottoming out intervals......
would like to give ya a review but without any real travel i just dunno.

Steve Chryssos
05-22-2018, 10:31 AM
HOTCHIKIS 3" Drop leaf rear advertised 175 rate spring with fox 1.5 shocks at all four corners.
Very little down travel available in the rear, always bottoming out, intersections, train tracks, dips etc, add a full tank of gas only compounds matter and practically lives bouncing off rubber snubbers. U bolts have dented top rail noticeably.
Contemplated notching the frame rails but think it would just allow rear end housing to slam into floorboard.
May have to re-arch to 2 inch drop or maybe even step up to 200 rate to mitigate bottoming out intervals......
would like to give ya a review but without any real travel i just dunno.

Mag,
Give our tech guys a call. They should be able to match your car up with shock length/stroke that best suits your car. It's best if you have some dimensions in hand before you call including installed height -- and the length of your current shock absorber body. Note how the dropdown options on the following page offer different strokes.

https://www.ridetech.com/products/q-series-shocks/universal/universal-smooth-body-shocks/

...and as far as the original thread goes, remember that RideTech offers a million and one mile warranty -- and for good reason.

Thanks,
Steve