PDA

View Full Version : Formula needed for a beginner

Yanchik
12-11-2017, 06:22 AM
Hello, I’m mid process on restoring my stock 70’ Skylark 350 with drum brakes. I know these cars don’t handle the best but I’m doing with what I can to make it the best it can be (within my college budget)

Can anyone give me a list of what items to purchase so I can make my car take turns like it’s on rails? (Or atleast close to it)

I have about $3000 to spend. Figure $1500 just for wheels and tires.

What parts should I spend the other $1500 on that will give the best improvements in handling?

I already have a 1.25 front sway bar and KYB shocks (not installed yet) The KYB’s are just temporary and don’t mind upgrading to better ones if the gains are worth it.

Thank you very much for reading!

BMR Sales
12-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Here is one of our Packages which also has Shocks to replace those KYB's

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=77&superpro=0

pitts64
12-14-2017, 06:25 AM
I would buy,

Stock front disc brake set up and use semi metallic pads.. Craig's list/local parts store..

SPC adjustable uppers with tall Proforged .9 and .5 ball joints, SC&C..

15x8 steel wheels with" 5 or 5.5 back space, Summit.. Corvette 8" Rallys don't have enough back space for the A body..

Master Craft/Cooper/Mickey Thompson 255/60r15 tires all the way around.. Craig's list.. I never buy new tires.. Used tires are slightly warn in, are not mushy and belt issues were usually addressed so long as you buy matched sets of four.. I usually get a set (4) for 100 to 200..

Bilstine shocks, e-Bay.

Spohn Del Sphere rear control arms, Spohn web site..

Lee 14:1 (30 pound valve) with small 13" Grant steering wheel, Tom Lee California. Grant wheel, e-Bay under $50..

Do not put those short wide tires and big wheels on a car with a stock, positive camber curve, suspension.... You need to change the front end geometry or you will have issues..

This is a good starting point and you will be amazed at how well those tires hold the ground with a static 1 degree negative camber and 5 to 6 degrees positive caster with a corrected camber curve.. The plus is the car will have a smooth ride...

I'd use the stock front bar with poly end links and return the KYBs.. When buying sway bars you need to buy a matching set front and rear along with matching springs or you will be chasing your tail, this isn't in your budget now. The stock bar and springs will work well for now because the tall ball joints/SPC adjustable uppers will bring the camber curves into the modern world instead of using a stiff bar to mask backward stock camber curves..

Hope this gives you a good starting point.. The above is just my view, there are a lot of different ways to do this by people who are way more knowledgeable then me..

pitts64
12-14-2017, 07:35 AM
This is a good place to start.. https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Your-Muscle-Handle/dp/1613251750