PDA

View Full Version : Widening aluminum wheels?

Samckitt
11-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I am thinking about having a couple of Centerline Aluminum wheels widened 2". Does anyone have any experience with this? I have 4 wheels, 2 are 9.5" wide & the other 2 are 8" wide. I want to put the 9.5" wide with 275/40/17 tires on the front & have the 8" wide wheels widened to 10" & put 315/35/17 out back. After a mini tub of course.

Thanks,
Scot

jy211
11-29-2005, 05:56 AM
I have had some billet specialties barrels replaced. I bent them up real bad, sent them out, and they re did them. Contact ceterline and see if they offer it...

Samckitt
11-29-2005, 06:20 AM
I have practically begged Centerline to make a set of 17X10" or 10.5" Stars for me, but the won't do it. They say that they used to carry hoops that big, but not any longer. The widest they carry is 9.5" in 17" diameter. In 15" diameter they have wheels wider than 9.5".
Scot

79T/Aman
11-29-2005, 06:29 AM
you will need 4 wheels to make 2 they cut both wheels and weld them back together by cutting the second set of wheels 2" wider tes it gets expensive about $250 per wheel plus the extra 2 wheel .

streetrod77
11-29-2005, 11:43 AM
What company does this & do you have a website for them? Have anyone used this company, http://www.weldcraftwheels.com . They claim to do something like this also but I don't know how good they are.

kmcanally
11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I have used Weldcraft for narrowing a set of wheels. They do very nice work for a reasonable amount. It is not necessary to sacrifice an extra set of wheels in the process unless you have a problem with two welded joints. I had some pics posted in another thread of there work but I have since deleted them. Some people commented that the weld should have been machined to make them less visible...but since they are on the backside of the wheel that was not particularly important to me. If you want PM me with your email address and I will send you some pics of their work.

79T/Aman
11-29-2005, 06:08 PM
to narrow a set of wheel does not require another set but for widening you do

Samckitt
11-30-2005, 02:07 AM
That is somewhat obvious.

bretcopsey
11-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Quote from the weldcraft homepage "We use an addition band for our widening processes, so there is no need for two wheels to make one. (See photo)" I would give them a call and see what they have to say about it. If they are able to give you that "warm fuzzy feeling" that they know what they are taslking about, then go for it! kmcanally sounds happy...

kmcanally
12-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Quote from the weldcraft homepage "We use an addition band for our widening processes, so there is no need for two wheels to make one. (See photo)" I would give them a call and see what they have to say about it. If they are able to give you that "warm fuzzy feeling" that they know what they are taslking about, then go for it! kmcanally sounds happy...

This is the second set of wheels I have had narrowed and have had no problems...and yes they add a hoop for the widening process so their is no need to sacrifice a set of wheels. I paid $250 for narrowing two wheels...they charge a little more for widening to cover the additional welds and material cost

LowBuckX
12-02-2005, 12:06 AM
email from them

Hello ,
If the wheels are not chromed then the cost is $175.00 per wheel.
One week turn around time from the time we receive them.
James

This was to add 1.5 inches