PDA

View Full Version : Mcleod Street Twin Clutch Too Stiff?? Help!

yody
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
I finally got my clutch linkage in, it conists of 1/2" tubing with 3/8 nuts tig welded on both ends and 3/8 heim joints in both ends, that is for the long top bar, i also duplicated the stock bend in it so it clears the hole in the firewall. On the bottom bar i just cut the stock end off if it and tig'd on a nut and added a heim joint, i kept the stock adjustable push rod on the other end.
I lubed up the ball joints on the z bar and installed everthing. I am using a Mcleod Borg+Beck Twin Disc street Clutch on a 454, I am using a Mceod Bellhousing, and a Lakewood Clutch Fork and Adjustable Pivot ball.
When installing the clutch/bellhousing i had to run the pivot ball real far down towards the bellhousing to create the proper leverage, Its kinda hard to tell but it looks like the clutch fork is correclty pointing towards the back of the block when the throwout bearing is just touching the clutch.
I have checked over and over but can't really find anything wrong with the setup, but for some reason the clutch is Super Stiff!!! I called the guy I got the clutch from (slightly used, only a few passes at the drag strip) and he said the clutch when in his car was effortless, I then called "Red" at Mcleod and he said the same thing, that these clutches are supposed to be pretty soft!
Any ideas here? i could really use some help, i don't want this stiff clutch! thanks!

parsonsj
09-21-2004, 04:26 AM
I can only make some suggestions, and you've probably tried or checked all of this already.

I agree, the street twin should be an easy clutch to depress.

1. Did you change any of the lever ratios?
2. Are you sure the TOB isn't binding on the input shaft sleeve?
3. Is the clutch cover torqued evenly?
4. Did you check to make sure the shims between the clutches are all correct?
5. Are you getting the right amount of pedal travel even though it's a lot of effort?

I'd look for bind in the linkage, and make sure the TOB can move freely.

Good luck. Let us know what was wrong.

jp

yody
09-21-2004, 08:46 AM
i suppose the ratio could be a little different, the lower rod isnt as short as it used to be, it is a little longer than original, i don't think anythiing else you listed is wrong,although they are good things to check for

MrQuick
09-21-2004, 07:55 PM
shims what shims?? :pat: he he

yody
09-21-2004, 09:48 PM
the twin disc clutch uses two discs one floater plate and a pressure plate. The shims i believe space the floater bushing in the correct place, or something like that, I used the correct shims, i belivei t was 2 for each post. This is a B+B pressure plate so i expected it to be somewhat stiff, but not this stiff. I checked everything again today, and tried to use the stock linkage, but it didnt' change anythign. I am wondering if my pivot ball isn't adjusted right, but wouldn't the pedal get easier after you over came the middle way point of the fork and gained the mechanical leverage? I am wondering if the clutch is just this stiff?

andrewb70
09-22-2004, 04:12 AM
The reason for the shims is that cover that is used on the twin disk is a stamped steel unit. The shims are used to make sure that the cover is perfectly parallel with the flywheel. John parsons and I spent about 45 minutes talking with the McLeod rep at SEMA last year. Each bolt will have a specific amount of shims under it, in order to bring the cover into alignment with the flywheel.

It sounds like an alignment issue to me. Either the shims or possibly your bellhousing is not aligned with the block. That is very critical with a multi disk clutch.

Andrew

yody
09-22-2004, 11:13 AM
I didn't align the belhousing, i tried my dial indicator and stand were just too big, and i couldn't get it to work, however i am using a Mcleod bellhousing which is "supposed" to already be aligned. I do understand that every block is different, i might have to take the tranny out and check that.

68RallySport
09-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Not like it helps but i went from centerforce to mcleod and it was a hell of a change. Actually its a weber clutch but its the same as mcleod from what ive been told. Holy ***** is that thing light. In comparison to the centerforce the mcleod feels like a hydralic clutch. Simply butter. They are both dual friction single disc clutches and this does not help you i just thought i'd throw out the ease of my clutch...
Goodluck yody i hope to see that beast get on the road soon...but then ill have to pull over to get out the way!
David

MrQuick
09-22-2004, 05:31 PM
I told you to ask Andrew! :slap: he he....hows the new job Andrew?

andrewb70
09-23-2004, 01:41 PM
The Quarter Master job? Or the New new job?LOL

Andrwe