PDA

View Full Version : TKO 600 shifters

parsonsj
11-28-2005, 10:12 AM
I've got the factory Tremec shifter, which looks fine (at least it's not made from stamped steel like the factory T56 shifter).

Anybody use an aftermarket shifter with their TKO-600? Thoughts, comments?

jp

TBART70
11-28-2005, 05:00 PM
looking to but the mcleod trick stick, I think thats the name comes highly recommended

Hurst - Jeff
11-29-2005, 05:57 PM
The McLeod Slik Stix shifter works very well. You can learn more about it here:
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/TKO_500_TKO_600_recommended_shifter_positions.htm.

Railing68
12-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Not sure if it would fit your II but pro 5.0 makes a nice shifter as well. It seems to have built in stop bolts etc and looks pretty beefy. price was 199.00 from PRO5.0. I don't think that it would be console friendly but couldn't say for sure. Standard shifter is a hurst piece if I am not mistaken and works well. SS

parsonsj
12-03-2005, 07:45 AM
My Chevy II console (and tranny tunnel) have long been in Nova heaven. That's not a consideration. I was unaware that the Pro 5.0 would work on a TKO-600. Is there any certain model or will all of 'em work?

Jeff, will the McLeod bolt up to shift levers that bolt to the stock shifter?

jp

Larry Callahan
12-03-2005, 08:04 AM
All this talk makes me think twice about my Richmond 6 speed. While it's probably a nice tranny it's sure not an easy one to shift. I'd love for the wife to drive the car but the hard shifting bothers me. Maybe after some miles are on it.

"Not wanting to hijack this" Please return to your regularly scheduled thread. lol

Hurst - Jeff
12-03-2005, 11:57 AM
The McLeod shifter stub has a bolt pattern that will accept shifter sticks with a 7/8" center to center bolt spacing and 3/8" ID hole size.
If your stock shift stick has this spacing and ID hole size you are good to go.
Keep in mind that the physical location where your stock shift stick bolts to the stock shifter mechanism is in a different physical location than the stick mounting point for the McLeod shifter (or any other shifter you may use on the TKO for that matter). This means that if your stock shifter will bolt to the McLeod stub (bolt pattern matches up) the physical location of the shift knob/handle will be in a different location when installed on the TKO as compared to where your stock shifter positions the stock ball.
I hope this makes some sense.

parsonsj
12-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Jeff,

I get the 7/8 x 3/8 bit. I'm good there.

I'm not following the other part, though. I have a brand new TKO-600 with its original shifter. Where does the McLeod shifter end up with respect to the original TKO-600 shifter?

jp

Hurst - Jeff
12-03-2005, 08:14 PM
The McLeod shifter stub holes are slightly lower (but not much) than the stock Tremec shifter holes. I would imagine that the original Muncie shifter mounting holes for the shift stick are lower, further to the left, and possibly at an angle. All of these variables from one shifter to the next will put your shift knob in a slightly different position.
In other words if you install the exact same shift stick onto three different shifter mechanisms (McLeod, Tremec, original Muncie), your shift knob will be in a different place with each shifter because each shifter has it's mounting holes in a slightly different place.
The diference between the Mcleod shifter and the Tremec shifter would be minimal but the difference between these two shifters and the stock Muncie shifter would be greater.
If you have further questions, feel free to call me.

Railing68
12-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Not trying to take away any business from Classic Chevy5speed because Jeff is really good to deal with. The Pro 5.0 has a specific TKO 600 shifter. http://pro50shifters.meridian1.net/Images/Products/Large/P5000.jpg

SS

dhardison
12-04-2005, 06:42 AM
I replaced my stock Tremec shifter with a Pro 5.0 unit. Although it's a high quality billet piece, I can't feel any difference in shifting performance. It certainly didn't shorten the throw a lick. I'm not knocking it (ok, maybe a little), but for me, it wasn't any better than stock.

Dan

parsonsj
12-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Dan,

Thanks for that. It seems the McLeod unit may actually improve the shift feel and/or shorten the throw, so I might pursue that unit.

jp

ps. I dig your front air dam. Did you make that?

JodysTransmissions
12-04-2005, 07:01 PM
All this talk makes me think twice about my Richmond 6 speed. While it's probably a nice tranny it's sure not an easy one to shift. I'd love for the wife to drive the car but the hard shifting bothers me. Maybe after some miles are on it.

"Not wanting to hijack this" Please return to your regularly scheduled thread. lol
You will need to rework that Richmond to make her shift easier for your wife! Richmond designs their transmissions around the Super T10 strut key and sliders. These items need to be replaced with the early style T10 parts from the '57-'63 T10. Big difference in the shifting.

Sorry about the Hi-jack reply!

Regards, Jody

Larry Callahan
12-04-2005, 07:10 PM
You will need to rework that Richmond to make her shift easier for your wife! Richmond designs their transmissions around the Super T10 strut key and sliders. These items need to be replaced with the early style T10 parts from the '57-'63 T10. Big difference in the shifting.

Sorry about the Hi-jack reply!

Regards, Jody

Thanks Jody!

Hurst - Jeff
12-04-2005, 09:58 PM
The possible reason you may not be able to tell the difference between the Hurst Pro 5.0 and the stcok Tremec shifter is that they are both made by Hurst - the design is bascially the same.
The McLeod shifter uses a series of belleville style spring washers instaed of coil s prings used by Hurst - this is why the McLeod shifter feels different.

TBART70
12-11-2005, 05:07 PM
anybody have part numbers for the slik stik for a 1970 camaro and a 67 camaro for the tko 600.

Hurst - Jeff
12-11-2005, 08:26 PM
We catalog them by the car year and model:
1967 Camaro TKO Slik Stix shifter
1970-81 Camaro TKO Slik Stix shifter

If you order direct through McLeod, just let them know th eyear of car you have and they will take care of you. You will need to talk to Red about these shifters.

andrewb70
12-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Just ran across more options:

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml
http://pro50shifters.meridian1.net/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=P5000|0

Andrew

chicane67
12-12-2005, 08:42 PM

The Long Shifter (Leanard Long built the units for Richmond) needs a little tuning as well. It requires a little gate 'edge blending' as well as some simple (internal trans) slider tuning and streching of the energizer springs to improve the engagement the dogs (strut keys).

trapin
12-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Jeff Trush has one of the sickest sticks in his '69 Convertible. Kyle at DS&E made it for him. I'm going to get the same one once I'm ready. Strange that Kyle has never advertised it for sale.

Hurst - Jeff
12-16-2005, 09:18 AM
trapin- Are you referring to a shift stick that DSE made (they do make great stuff - I would like to see it too) or an actual shifter mechanism? It sounds like you are referring the stick.
The post was referring to shifter mechanisms.

trapin
12-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Oh....the shift stick. It's really kick a$$ looking. It was made for his M20 and he has since switched to a T56 so I'm not sure if he still has it unless he modded it to fit the T56.

wiedemab
12-20-2005, 01:15 PM
JP - I realize that your car is so far from stock that this may not help at all, but we put a TKO-500 in my dad's '67 Chevy II.

http://wiedos.com/Nova/Nova%20Tremec.htm

We used a Pro 5.0 shifter with a Hurst Stick - we machined inserts for the Hurst handle because the mount holes were too big.

Side note: After talking to Tremec at Indy Goodguys last year, we backed the shifter stops completely out. According to Tremec - the TKO (3550) series trannys have internal stops and by having the external shifter stops slightly off-adjustment, damage can be done, by "undershifting" if that's a word? I love the feel of the Pro 5.0. The TKO was stiff and somewhat notchy for a couple thousand miles, but is really smooth now.

Tremec Experts: Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of statements.

Can't wait to See IIMuch at Columbus Goodguys - Good Luck

Hurst - Jeff
12-20-2005, 01:30 PM
I think all of your statements are on track.
FYI - The stock Tremec shifter is made by Hurst.

SDMAN
01-07-2006, 03:12 PM
I have had 3 shifters on my TKO-600. The stock piece (not a bad shifter), an early offset shifter (didnt last 200 miles before the stick broke off in my hand) and the McLeod. The McLeod is a fine shifter, and it definitely shifts better than the stock part. It has a very clean and positive feel going from gear to gear. I recommend it highly.