PDA

View Full Version : 68 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible Pro-Touring Patina Build

Tims68Olds
11-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Like many I've been floating around the site getting valuable info for free. Thanks to the multitudes for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I finally decided to post my build. It's being built by myself along with help from a good friend at www.rowansrides.com. These guys do some high-end builds and lots of LS swaps. So here is what I've got going.

Car is a 1968 Olds Cutlass S with 118,000 original miles, previously owned by a retired Navy pilot since 1972. I am the third owner as of a few years ago. Car is completely unmolested and still has all original interior. Zero rust through in floor pan. Trunk pan has a few holes the size of an eraser. All power windows, power top, radio, interior lights and even the door buzzer still work. Drove it home about 47 miles the day I purchased it. I've built a Car Craft magazine feature car years ago (Jan. 2000 issue 72 Camaro) and just want an easy no hassle ride this go around.

What I'm planning and have already purchased for the build. I will leave the patina as it is and redo the interior in the original color. Thinking about making it look like an old 60's era Trans Am SCCA road racer. Maybe a roll bar to complete the look. Extra frame I have is being fitted with Hellwig Frame FX kit and is about to go to powder coating, stock running gear has been removed and sold in favor of a low miles 5.3 and 4l60 running the Fitech Ultimate LS setup, hooker cast headers, aluminum LS swap radiator, Tanks Inc. EFI tank, Shiftworks shifter conversion to use stock shifter, tubular arms front and rear, QA1 adjustable coil overs for front, dropped springs and shocks for rear, 1 1/4" front and 1" rear swaybars, LS1 brake swap all around, magna flow SS exhaust and 18x9.5 and 18x8 wheels. Will also run the vintage air setup and Speed hut gauges. All pictures are of car stock with nothing done at this point other than wheels.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
11-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Awesome car! Love the Cutlass convertibles. Look forward to seeing progress. Though honestly, I don't know how old SCCA I'd go, being that it's a convertible, I just don't picture it too much setup as a pure racer. I see it as a sweet almost restomod-ish pro-tourer.

Tims68Olds
11-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Thanks for feedback on the SCCA race look. I put that in there just for that purpose. One day I think its looks cool and the next I'm more restomod pro tourer minded. May have the graphics put on magnets so it can be removed if I go that route. May still run a simple roll bar powder coated in wrinkle finish for some safety and a place to install 3 point seatbelts for front.

Tims68Olds
11-16-2017, 12:27 PM
A few pictures of the Hellwig Frame FX kit install. Will redo a few of the body mounts and send to powder coating next week. It was a coupe frame so we went with the Frame FX to stiffen it up for the convertible. These kits fit very well. Looks like Hellwig copied GM's factory A-body convertible frame boxing. Using this frame to speed up the swap over time. We'll build it up with all the new stuff, get engine and trans in so it's a rolling chassis.

badolds
11-17-2017, 04:19 AM
I love it!! My first car was a 69 Cutlass with that same color. Please reconsider the decals, that car does not need them.

Dan

deejai35
11-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Very nice starting point. Always good to see another Cutlass. I can't wait to see your progress. Looks like you have a solid plan.

Tims68Olds
12-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Wrapped up Hellwig Frame FX install. Did some mock up with a spare 5.3 and 4L60 to get transmission cross member setup. Custom made LS mounts similar to BRP but with slots for adjustment front to back. Clearances are good all around accessories. Truck pan is very low so I'll run the Holley LS swap pan.

kiperry
12-14-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm trying to post my work in progress too I have a 68 25,000 original miles with street grip kit 455 putting a 200r4 in it. I love the 68. My favorite a body

andrewb70
12-14-2017, 03:35 PM
I approve this post...but I am not sure why you went with anything besides the Holley/Hooker mounts and the 302-2/3 oil pan. The forward mount option will give you the A/C clearance that you need...

Andrew

Mr Nick
12-14-2017, 08:17 PM
While I'd rather see a fuel injected Olds under the hood, this looks like it will be a nice build nonetheless. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

ryeguy2006a
12-15-2017, 10:10 AM
I LOVE these patina cars! I have very seriously thought of trying to replicate the paint on my car to look weathered, but it just won't be the same. Can't wait to see more progress.

CSG
12-15-2017, 10:22 AM
I LOVE these patina cars! I have very seriously thought of trying to replicate the paint on my car to look weathered, but it just won't be the same. Can't wait to see more progress.

I agree and that there is a nice patina.

RMMiller
12-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Ivy gold interior, my 68 GTO had the same color! I have to agree with what was said before the car looks good and the stickers would detract from it.

Tims68Olds
12-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Quick work on frame. Took it Friday and got it back today. Gloss black base clear color turned out well. Work by Powder Coating of Gainesville Florida. Will start hanging all new suspension, steering etc and get the chassis into a roller with engine and trans. Rebuilding the 12 bolt type O rear with a new US Gear posi, Richmond 3:42 gears and all new Timken bearings and seals. Making progress. Hopefully running and on the road by March.

Tims68Olds
01-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Made a little progress over the holidays. Got engine out of donor Avalanche, cleaned up and ready for Fitech Ultimate LS setup. Also, doing custom coil covers using 1951 Oldsmobile Rocket valve covers. Will repaint block and powder coat all accessories and brackets.

ProTouring442
01-06-2018, 05:50 AM
I am a bit confused on the Helwig kit. A convertible frame s already boxed, did you remove the factory boxing, or install the Helwig kit over it?

Tims68Olds
01-06-2018, 02:38 PM
If you read my original post, I had an extra non boxed frame from a Chevelle so decided to use it with Hellwig kit and speed the project up a bit by having it ready, built up and rolling with all the new stuff on it. Hellwig basically copied the convertible frame boxing and added the in-board mount so it looks about the same. We'll use the boxed frame down the road under the 69 Chevelle. Be a nice upgrade there.

ProTouring442
01-07-2018, 05:02 AM
If you read my original post, I had an extra non boxed frame from a Chevelle so decided to use it with Hellwig kit and speed the project up a bit by having it ready, built up and rolling with all the new stuff on it. Hellwig basically copied the convertible frame boxing and added the in-board mount so it looks about the same. We'll use the boxed frame down the road under the 69 Chevelle. Be a nice upgrade there.

You know, I read that... doh! Thanks!

Tims68Olds
02-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Slow progress of late. Been busy, but finally got around to starting build up on frame. Was going to rebuild and use the Type-O rear but figured real quick that was a pretty pricy option ($1K for a posi and gears) and your still stuck with sort of an oddball 3-4 year made rear, so I opted for a Quick Performance 9" with Eaton True Trac posi and 3.50 gears. Will run the 12" 98-02 Camaro brakes on rear. Will need another rear sway bar as the one I have is a 1" factory shaped deal that will not clear the jack pad on bottom of 9". Any suggestions on a brand? Also, working on a simple reverse 4 point roll bar setup. Looking to have the main hoop with dropped side bars going under door handles similar to the Ride Tech tiger cage side bars. Will have a nut insert to run retractable 3 point belts and be powder coated wrinkle finish black.

Tims68Olds
02-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Got a few things done over the weekend. Engine installed along with some suspension parts.
Lots of clearance on the Holley 302-2 pan. Already removed the low mount alternator bracket even though I prefer it, it hits my steering box very slightly with no room to move it since it is a rigid mount. Was planning to have it and the AC down low to clean up engine look a bit. I looked at several other manufactures to try and find something that would work but came up empty. Likely go with the ICT high mount. Hope to have a rolling chassis next weekend.

968ls1
02-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Try the mount billet from Speedway I went to it to clear my 600 series steering box with Hooker rear bias engine mounts.

ryeguy2006a
02-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Looks great. I like the idea of using the Olds Rocket valve covers for coil covers.

jetmech442
02-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Hey nice build and great work on the frame! I've been eyeing that same frame kit for a while. Looks like your engine is up high enough that it won't contact the tie rods like mine. I came to the same conclusion as you as far as getting gears and posi. in fact I just installed a fab 9 with the Truetrac with some 4:56's(rear tires are 29.5'' so the gears aren't as ridiculous as it seems at first :) ). Only had a few weeks of drive time before it snowed, but I really liked the new posi. I was going to suggest the hellwig rear adjsutable sway bar, but it looks like you got the QA1's already bolted up-I'm sure it will stiffen it up nicely.

I'm running the "GM metric Calipers(78 Cadillac) on the rear but I'm interested in the 98 fbody setup your doing. post a pic if you get a chance and good luck with the rest of the build!

Tims68Olds
03-10-2018, 06:27 PM
As everyone knows life gets busy, so no time to update build progress for the past few weeks. Here are some pictures to update my slow progress. Got front end complete minus steering linkages. Still painting the moog parts. Installed 9" true trac and need to press bearings on axles and bolt those in and chassis will be a roller. Ordered the vintage air and ls truck AC low mount bracket. Hoping to have body on in a few weeks and then I'll install the Fitech Ultimate LS setup. Don't want to risk hitting it lowering body on. Got my Speedhut gages but waiting on vintage air to come in before tearing the dash down.

Tims68Olds
04-02-2018, 06:10 PM
A little progress. Finally got a rolling chassis. Need to get moving if I'm going to make a few legs of the Hot Rod power tour in June. That's the plan anyway.

Tims68Olds
04-16-2018, 05:49 PM
Got steering linkage installed and pretty much everything but brake lines ran and I'll be ready to put the body on frame. Need to finish the magna flow SS exhaust system at least to mufflers. Will clean and degrease bottom of car and spray with raptor liner bed liner coating. Going to have to swap water pump out for a 98-02 Camaro pump and spacers or an L98 truck pump with the angled neck. Current setup is hitting throttle linkage. I hear the L98 pump will work without spacers. We'll see.

Tims68Olds
06-15-2018, 02:46 PM
Slow progress of late so nothing new to post until a few days ago. Got the body on frame and working on fuel tank, exhaust, trans plumbing, vintage air install, speedhut gauges etc. Not much to show, but here are a few pictures. Looking to run some spacers on front wheel setup to move them out some. Not totally satisfied with tire size. Ride height has not been adjusted any. QA1's are set about 1 1/2" from bottom on threads. I'll get it running and drivable and play with wheel tire combo. May try the 9.5" rears on front then go 10 or 11 on back. Looks like room.

Tims68Olds
07-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Got Speedhut gauges installed. Used 4" revolution series with black bezel. Very easy swap over using all the factory gauges mounting housings and hardware. Looks factory. Also getting vintage air setup. Finishing up cowl rust repair. Car is very solid with no rust through in pans, but lower windshield was a mess but new metal got it all. Hoping to take a ride in 3-4 weeks.

Tims68Olds
08-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Got dash rust completed and dash installed. Did dash pad black with SEM landau black paint as I'll, in time, change interior color to black with new door panels, seats covers etc. Dash top is wrinkle finish. I want the inside fairly nice, but will still keep the original patina. Wired up Fitech setup and have car running. Did a few test rides around the block. Strong for a stock 5.3. Likely in the 320HP range with better exhaust and Fitech setup. Did lose over 2000 pounds verses the donor Avalanche. Sounds very mild with Hooker cast manifolds and 2 1/2" magna flow exhaust, but that's what I was after. Still a lot to do, but it's at least running. For now I'll get it all finished up with willow gold interior and put some miles on it and change interior along the way.

Jeff70
08-20-2018, 11:59 PM
I wish the original owner never painted my Cutlass....����*♂️

ryeguy2006a
08-21-2018, 03:40 AM
Wow, you are doing a great job with this car! Can't wait to see it all back together.

andrewb70
08-21-2018, 04:33 AM
If you ditch that intake and use a ls6 I take, you'll pick up 30-40lb/ft.

Andrew

Tims68Olds
08-22-2018, 06:08 AM
If you ditch that intake and use a ls6 I take, you'll pick up 30-40lb/ft.

Andrew

That's a pretty nice gain. Are there any dyno numbers out there where folks tested intakes against other setups? I see that Fitech actually has a new composite intake that looks like the GM LS ones. Even got the name "torque" in the kit. Thanks for the info. BTW, Nice rides you got there.

andrewb70
08-22-2018, 06:21 AM
That's a pretty nice gain. Are there any dyno numbers out there where folks tested intakes against other setups? I see that Fitech actually has a new composite intake that looks like the GM LS ones. Even got the name "torque" in the kit. Thanks for the info. BTW, Nice rides you got there.

I think one of the magazines (maybe Car Craft) did a big manifold dyno shoot out. I am sure you can find it with some Google searching. Thank you for the compliment. My Cougar would gain torque with a different intake, but #vanity...

Andrew

Tims68Olds
08-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Found that article on Super Chevy. Tested several intake setups on a 6.0 with mild cam. Their results on LS6 versus the sheet metal intake. LS6 Peak HP/TQ 557/483 Average HP/TQ 432/451. Sheet Metal Intake Peak HP/TQ 587/470 Average HP/TQ 425/443. Average HP/TQ difference 7/9.

Tims68Olds
08-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Not much to post. Quick side shot showing stance. Need to cut excess pipe off and get the exhaust tips installed. SS with slant cut.

Tims68Olds
10-08-2018, 05:50 AM
No real updates. Slow progress of late. Have been driving car around locally to put some miles on it. Everything seems to be doing well. Fitech setup is working well. Continuing to tweak a few things. Car handles well. Still working on interior. Ordering Scat ProCar Rally Seats for the front and will just cover back to match.

ryeguy2006a
10-08-2018, 11:50 AM
The car turned out great! I love the stance, please post more pictures when you get a chance.

SD455
10-20-2018, 06:22 AM
I noticed you are running a manual steering box and I've been wanting to do the same. What box are you using and how do you find it's working with your current set up?

deejai35
10-27-2018, 06:17 AM
Awesome build! Thanks for sharing the progress and details along the way. I noticed we have similar style wheels and same tires. The tires actually aren't bad ;)

Are you going to HRPT in 2019? Would love to meet up and check out the ride in person!

Tims68Olds
04-14-2020, 12:17 PM
Didn't realize it had been so long since I posted anything on the car. It is almost complete. Getting new top soon and will then add all the new interior stuff I have. Been driving it around for some months now and working on small stuff. Runs out and handles very well. Bone stock 5.3 but peppy. Thinking mild Texas Speed cam swap. Suspension is basically a QA1 stage III kit minus the rear adjustable coil overs. Will get those eventually. End up using Holley LS Valve covers verse the 51 Olds one I wanted. Very tight to get coils in and make them sit low and look right on the 51s. Holley doesn't offer plain covers so I just got the ones with the Chevrolet logo and sanded it off and powder coated. Think I'll remove the exhaust manifolds now and redo in black. New bumpers front and rear. Matte cleared patina using the POR 15 stuff. Turned out very nice and filled most of the checking and cracks so its pretty smooth to the touch. Coming along very slowly.

deejai35
04-22-2020, 07:05 PM
Your Cutlass looks great! Nice work with it.

_BQ
04-23-2020, 04:58 AM
I apologize if I missed it above...what’s your wheel and tire sizes? My brother is building an SX and is weighing options. Thanks