PDA

View Full Version : F100 Front End

AlexBC
11-12-2017, 07:30 PM
I should start a thread in the truck section, but this is a very suspension oriented thread.

Background and Goads: 75 F100 with an LQ4 swapped into in. I live in the middle of northern British Columbia so the nearest autoX is a 10 hour drive. The truck is brain food. I love driving it and I'm hoping to make it handle better. yes it's a long bed truck, and it will never actually handle, but lets make some lemonade. I am most of the way through a 4 link following Ron's stick post for rules of thumb (Thank you Ron it was extremely helpful). Now to finish up some things on the front end I need to make some choices.

The Question:
Do I do some work on the old twin beam, or swap a mustang 2 under it... or is there something affordable better alternative? Now before you jump on bashing the twin beam have a look at this...

The grey solid lines show the instant roll center for the mustang 2(11deg KPI willwood spindles), versus the black dashed lines which show where the twin beam is.

Now for some other interesting details; the scrub radius is actually a little less on the twin beam. It has a KPI of 4deg, 4deg of castor I have -0.5 to -1deg camber right now. The springs are buttery soft and no roll bar. Is it worth building some coil adapters and going to stiffer springs to try and control body roll/camber change in a corner, maybe assist it with a roll bar if the rates gets to high on the springs...

I have a full cnc shop at my disposal so making it is the easy part. Making it right is the hard part. I also have a great relationship with the local wreckers if there is any other production stuff I can rob. End goal is just a fun truck to drive though the canyon roads. Tires are 295/60R15's

redmist
11-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Have you looked at the Crown Vic front end swaps that folks are doing?

AlexBC
11-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Yes, I have. There seems to be a shortage of crown vic's, even ex police cars/taxi's in BC and Alberta. I have been following government auctions, kijiji and autotrader for the last year. It's cheaper to build a mustang 2 and put it under than to buy a vic, steal the front end and scrap it.

Twentyover
11-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Second Gen F body front clip? Pretty good starting place,maybe needs a tall lower ball joint and a little more caster.