PDA

View Full Version : VaporWorx Pressure Location Ideas?

badazz81z28
11-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Gents, I need some ideas on where to locate the PWM fuel pressure sensor. I have seen some ideas on Google, but I don't like the erector set type set-up with a handful of AN elbows. It also seems too heavy to just hang off the tube. What have you all done?

dhutton
11-11-2017, 06:57 PM
I’ve done several using the elbows etc supplied by Carl. Works fine. I install the DSE fuel pump access panel in the trunk floor and it makes everything accessible and serviceable.

Don

badazz81z28
11-11-2017, 08:32 PM
I’ve done several using the elbows etc supplied by Carl. Works fine. I install the DSE fuel pump access panel in the trunk floor and it makes everything accessible and serviceable.

Don

Do you have pics of your set-ups?

dhutton
11-12-2017, 04:30 AM
Do you have pics of your set-ups?

No pics. But there is nothing unique about them, I just used the parts Carl supplied.

Don

badazz81z28
11-12-2017, 07:18 AM
No pics. But there is nothing unique about them, I just used the parts Carl supplied.

Don

He didn't supply any parts

dhutton
11-12-2017, 07:43 AM
He didn't supply any parts

They are here. You have to order them.

https://www.vaporworx.com/product-category/fittings-and-hardware/

Don

CarlC
11-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Depending upon the tank design, oftentimes the best place to put the sensor is just downstream of the pump so that the sensor lays in the recess of the tank. This helps to protect the sensor plus makes for a clean installation since the sensor is not visible. The access door is handy in many cases, but fortunately the reliability of the fuel modules is very good so either method should work well.

To me the entire automotive aftermarket plumbing market is in flux. The go-to AN system works quite well and is very robust, however, the GM quick-connect system is also quite robust and reliable. There isn't a full line of compatible fittings that make interchanging between one and the other as easy as it should be, or stand-alone hose fittings that would make life easier. I've begged several companies to please start making something like this, but my feeling is that if they go down that road it obsoletes current manufacturing models.

badazz81z28
11-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Depending upon the tank design, oftentimes the best place to put the sensor is just downstream of the pump so that the sensor lays in the recess of the tank. This helps to protect the sensor plus makes for a clean installation since the sensor is not visible. The access door is handy in many cases, but fortunately the reliability of the fuel modules is very good so either method should work well.

To me the entire automotive aftermarket plumbing market is in flux. The go-to AN system works quite well and is very robust, however, the GM quick-connect system is also quite robust and reliable. There isn't a full line of compatible fittings that make interchanging between one and the other as easy as it should be, or stand-alone hose fittings that would make life easier. I've begged several companies to please start making something like this, but my feeling is that if they go down that road it obsoletes current manufacturing models.

do you have any pictures of setups of the fuel pressure sensor plumbed to the pump. I have vaporworks ricks tank with the recess

dhutton
11-19-2017, 10:27 AM
do you have any pictures of setups of the fuel pressure sensor plumbed to the pump. I have vaporworks ricks tank with the recess

I will ray to get you a pic of my wife’s car in the next day or so. Just need to remove the screws on the access cover.

Don

dhutton
11-21-2017, 05:02 PM
I will ray to get you a pic of my wife’s car in the next day or so. Just need to remove the screws on the access cover.

Don

Here is a pic of my wife’s car. Excuse the dust, we live on a dusty gravel road and the car is driven...

CarlC
11-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Sorry I missed this one but Don has it laid out well. If using a 90* F-F swivel often the fuel line hits the side wall of the recess. The 90* can be reduced a but by unbending to tuck the line in a bit. I use the 45* unmodified.

CarlC
11-28-2017, 01:28 PM
It is also not recommended to mount the fuel pressure sensor in the fuel rail. The problem with mounting the sensor in the fuel rail is that the injectors, as they open and close, create pulsations that the VaporWorx system will chase. In other words, the system can react fast enough to chase individual injector pulsations. The result is a wildly varying fuel pressure at idle. GM has the sensor mounted near the pump outlet on many cars for the same reason.

alocker
11-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Just used a pressure tap union.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2017/11/95hjPMw72lrPZzlFoUnNvkbJCFlK_gaDxGoyuwTl-1.jpg

chuckd71
01-26-2018, 05:35 PM
So what would be the best way to do this if we wanted to use the factory style nylon fuel line?
Edit - it looks like putting one of these on the fuel pump outlet for the pwm and another on the fuel rail for the pressure gauge might work? Then run nylon line between them perhaps? If that works it would mean one nice long uninterrupted line from front to back.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-15121

badazz81z28
01-27-2018, 08:44 PM
I thought about doing it like “alocker” but I did not want weight of the sensor and harness resting on the nipple if the fuel pump. Vibration and bouncing of the car doesn’t seem good. I put mine here. Plenty of support and looks better then the erector set of AN fittings.

chuckd71
01-28-2018, 07:58 AM
That looks fairly simple, did you bend and flare that initial segment yourself?

badazz81z28
01-28-2018, 12:13 PM
^^ Yes I made the whole line from straight tubing. Used a Ridgid flaring tool and a basic tube bender.

chuckd71
02-05-2018, 05:40 PM
That aeromotive piece came in, it's going to go on the fuel rail end for now until I run PWM (then I'll get another to put where this one is in the picture).148847

Alponcho
07-07-2019, 02:08 PM
I'm in the process of mocking up my fuel system and wondering what set-up would work better. Option A is to come off the ZL1 module with 6AN and starting the 8AN line to the engine after the fuel pressure sensor. Option B is to come off the fuel module with 8AN (assuming there is a 3/8 quick connect to 6AN male adaptor available and an 8AN fitting for the fuel pressure sensor) so that the line size is consistent throughout.

John McIntire
07-07-2019, 06:20 PM
What kind of power are you making? If you're running the Gen 5 ZL1 pump, 6AN will be enough to support the max that pump will put out. That's what Carl told me when I bought his set up. Heads/cam LS7, aiming for 630-650whp.

Alponcho
07-07-2019, 07:46 PM
I'll be running a NA Pontiac 535, which should make 700 or so at at the crank, so I'm thinking maybe 600 at the wheels. I originally planned to use pre-formed 3/8 lines with AN fittings, but I've been told over and over that I should go 8AN.

John McIntire
07-08-2019, 05:43 AM
I thought the same thing, but had this conversation with Carl and he convinced me the 6AN would be enough for me. C6Z's are making these power levels on stock fuel lines and pumps. Using the factory 3/8 line is a good idea with the ends converted to AN.
Contact Carl directly and see what he says. PM him and see if he can add to this thread. He knows his stuff!

Alponcho
07-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Carl said 6AN would work, but no operational drawbacks to using 8AN. I’ll probably go with the latter since I already have 25’ of 1/2 nicopp from FedHill on the way. He also said I could put the fuel pressure regulator in the 6 or 8AN sections, but there are 8AN fittings available so I won’t need to use 6AN at all except for the vent line.