PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Works / Horsepower levels

badazz81z28
10-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Hey all, I got the Vaporworks tank for my 70 Camaro and it came with the 2010 SS Camaro fuel pump module. Now that I have the LS7 (probably 650hp or so), should I swap the pump out? If so which one (part #)? Do I need a PWM controller or are they really not needed?

Thanks,

dhutton
10-30-2017, 03:44 PM
I like to use the Vaporworx controller and have installed four without a hitch. The ZL1 pump is the highest capacity single pump as far as I know but this has not been fact check verified....

Don

71RS/SS396
10-31-2017, 06:34 AM
Under 600hp @ 60psi, and naturally aspirated: Gen5 Camaro LS3 fuel module.

Under 775hp @ 60psi, and naturally aspirated: Gen5 Camaro ZL1 fuel module.

Under 950hp @ 60psi, and naturally aspirated: Cadillac CTS-V fuel module.

I prefer the vaporworx controller because the pump only runs as hard as it needs to and keeps the fuel cooler.

I would put it on the chassis dyno and see if it runs out of pump before I spent more money.

dhutton
10-31-2017, 07:19 AM
Some good relevant info here:

http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=55669

And here on Carl’s site:

https://www.vaporworx.com/documentation/fuel-modules/

Don

CarlC
10-31-2017, 09:48 PM
Gen5 SS pump will in most cases feed mid-level LS7 NA builds. Shipka's previous LS7 that made 625hp was just barely covered with the SS pump and a PWM kit (the first commercial unit sold by VaporWorx.) At the time there was no ZL1 fuel pump, so we were fortunate that the SS had enough capacity, but there was little safety factor. It's good to have a 10% SF which put the fueling near a 700hp NA range.

Since James, and Mary Pozzi, both went large with their new Lingenfelter bullets a ZL1 pump was in order. Ditto with Jake Rozelle's. All three run ZL1/PWM with Lingenfelter engines.

Oh, and Rockauto has the ZL1 pumps for $173. That's a steal for the capability. There is no aftermarket pump that is in the same galaxy as an OE designed fuel module.

VTtransam
01-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Is there a downside (other than cost) to running the CTS-V2 pump module + PWM kit instead of the ZL1 pump module on a 650hp NA LS7 or LSX454 build?

badazz81z28
01-21-2018, 03:29 PM
ok, so about there. If you recall the tank would leak up top when it was full. I always thought it was the pump module O-ring but taking the old one out it looked perfectly fine. I decided to pull the float level and noticed the rubber gasket holes did not line up with the sensor or tank. Hence the gasket was not sitting completely flat. Now I need to call MCB or Rick to see about sourcing a new gasket....now I’m
On hold...

Anyone know if I can pick one up online?

dhutton
01-21-2018, 04:43 PM
My recollection is that the holes only line up in one position. You have to rotate it until they line up. It is very subtle....

Don

badazz81z28
01-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I tried each and every way. One hole was off, not a ton just enough. Looks like at initial build some of the holes were slightly off, but made to work.

CarlC
01-25-2018, 10:12 AM
With PWM there's no real downside to using a larger fuel module than what is needed besides the cost.

For example, let's say that for now the LS3 485hp crate engine is going in the car, but in two years the plan is to add a supercharger that will bump the power up to 700hp. If the budget allows, go with he CTS-V pump right from the start. With this the added expense and labor to swap the pumps and possibly the VaporWorx wiring harness is eliminated.

The best deal out there now on modules is the ZL1. $195 from RockAuto + 5% discount. It's 650hp supercharged, 790hp N/A capable, with built in filtering, active filling, etc. For what it costs vs. the performance, it's a steal.

I've made similar gaskets from cork and Buna-N gasket materials from Napa.