PDA

View Full Version : 67 Firebird Steering binding issue

CamaroJesse
10-07-2017, 05:47 AM
I have had my 67 Firebird on the road a little while now and ive noticed that the steering wheel does not return back to center after a turn. The steering wants to kind of stay the direction of the turn and i have to re-center the wheel. I have the ridetech stage 2 front and rear with tru turn. All of the steering components are brand new. The steering box is a 12.7 Turn One box. I have eliminated a few possibilities. I know the steering column and rag joint isnt an issue as i have removed both from the car. I disconnected the outer tie rods from the knuckle to make sure my ball joints are not binding. Ball joints are fine. If the car is in the air and you try to move the front wheel left to right by hand its extremely hard to do so. I cant figure out where to go from here. The alignment specs are all dead on as well so it shouldnt be a caster issue.

Thanks
Jesse

David Pozzi
10-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Its mainly because all the components are brand-new. Each one has some extra friction. It will get better as it breaks in. Positive caster helps steering return, how much do you have?

CamaroJesse
10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
i believe its around 5 degrees. i think i found the main bind though today. i think it was in the rag joint. its driving much better now.

David Pozzi
10-10-2017, 08:50 AM
I would loosen the steering box and idler arms at the subframe to help them line up to the rag joint. Solid subframe to unibody mounts help keep the sub stable relative to the unibody. The half-height sub mounts introduce steering shaft alignment issues on a first gen.