PDA

View Full Version : Global West rear coilover kit for A bodies anybody? COR-672S

chuckd71
10-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Was looking at this or one of its variants but can find nothing about them. I emailed GW to see if they had any info or pics from customers or anyone else that has used the kit but they never replied. Not sure what that says about things, but lackluster customer service aside the parts themselves look interesting.
This is what I'm looking at http://www.globalwest.net/rear-coilover-kit-1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-chevelle-gto-442-skylark-a-body-global-west-qa1-sing.html
I'm also interested in their front kit as well, but I haven't seen or heard of anyone using that one either.

USAZR1
10-01-2017, 08:33 PM
I've been looking at that set-up, as well. Anyone on this site a GW dealer?

Later-A-body
10-03-2017, 04:47 PM
I installed the GW front long travel coil-over kit in my GA. Very high quality. It does require cutting and welding of the factory spring pockets. The ride, handling, and adjustability is very good. All GW parts are well worth the investment. I will be installing their rear coil-over kit in my father's '65 GTO soon.

chuckd71
10-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Cool. What springs did you go with up front? That's the main thing I'm not certain about concerning the front.

Later-A-body
10-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Cool. What springs did you go with up front? That's the main thing I'm not certain about concerning the front.

I was a little conservative and went with 600 lb. springs up front. I could have gone with higher rates, but I had a few reasons. First was that I had 550's in the front prior to the long travel, and with the Pontiac 455 in place. The ride was great, and the handling was as well. After swapping the LS7 in, I lost 150-200 lbs. off the front, so I decided to try the 600's first, then go up from there if necessary. I want great handling, but am not willing to kill the ride quality.

David LaBuda
10-07-2017, 02:15 PM
I used the axle brackets from the kit and built my own crossmember on the frame. They're nice pieces and provide adjustable mounting locations for the lower control arms. I've got pictures on my build thread.

chuckd71
10-08-2017, 06:36 AM
That looks cool but I'm not in a position to do anything that would require taking the body off the frame just yet. I might have overlooked it, but why did you move away from the original intake and use the truck? I've been running the truck one since day one and have hated how bit it is.

David LaBuda
10-08-2017, 08:44 AM
That looks cool but I'm not in a position to do anything that would require taking the body off the frame just yet. I might have overlooked it, but why did you move away from the original intake and use the truck? I've been running the truck one since day one and have hated how bit it is.

I'm sure the frame side of the Global West mounts would work just as well. Which intake are you talking about?

chuckd71
10-08-2017, 09:38 AM
The one you started with in the first half of your build thread

David LaBuda
10-08-2017, 11:27 AM
I started out with the stock truck intake manifold. I upgraded to an LS6 manifold because I found a good deal on one and they look much better.

chuckd71
10-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Perhaps I should've been more clear. The SLP filter stuff from a car prior to the giant tube for a silverado.

David LaBuda
10-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Oh, gotcha. I liked how the 4th gen setup looked but it took up all of the space in front of the engine. The engine also tended to run hot with that setup and I have a feeling it was because air tended to get funneled past the canted radiator since Chevelle's have such a large grille opening. I think the limited space in the 4th gen f-bodies directed the air through the angled radiator better. The big 4" tubing is easy to route and it probably delivers more air than anything.