PDA

View Full Version : 68 straight 6 camaro.

71LS5Formula
09-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Hello. I need some help or advice. A friend of mine has a 68 camaro with a straight 6. No power steering, but he wants to add it. I know we can get a pump and hoses from napa or someplace like that. Being that I stick mainly to 2nd gens; I'm not sure on where to get a gear box or what else is needed for the conversion. He's just wants to make the car nicer to drive. Thanks inn advance.

Ben@SpeedTech
09-08-2017, 07:12 AM
The 1st gen Camaros share the same subframe as a 68-74 Nova so in that respect all parts will interchange. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a power steering box that's pre-1982 out of most any GM car, with the exception of something like a Vega, should be a direct bolt in swap, they all use the same bolt pattern and case. The pitman arm can be swapped to a 1st gen Camaro power steering arm. The steering linkage may be different between a power and non power car too, he'll have to research that one but the info shouldn't be hard to find. In 82+ they changed the gear box from a flare fitting on the hoses to an o ring fitting. The bolt pattern on the box was still the same so there are adapters out there to adapt your pre '82 hoses to the newer box fitting to make the sawp an easy bolt in. At Speedtech we use Sweet for our steering boxes if he's in the market for a fast ratio steering have him give us a call.

Randy67
09-09-2017, 06:04 AM
Ben's advice is spot on. The o-ring fittings on the steering box started in '80 or '81 I believe, as my 81 Camaro had the o-ring fittings.

Z06vet
09-09-2017, 08:26 AM
You should be able to get get all stock replacement parts- pump, gear, lines, and pitman arm from most auto parts stores. I use advance auto a lot, and they have most parts available. Sometimes it will need to ordered or shipped. And there are lot of coupon codes to save a bit of money. Scott

71LS5Formula
09-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the help y'all.