PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen Steering box woes

67FirebirdKiller
09-05-2017, 06:01 AM
Morning, I'm having some issues and I'm not sure if it's geometry related or just bad boxes but I put a 3rd gen (Camaro, 2.25 turns) fast ratio box in my LS swapped 67 Firebird with stock linkage and I keep having leaks at the input shaft. The column is a flaming river with flaming river upper and firewall mounts, angle is good, slides on straight, wheels in front are around 9" wide. I'm on the 3rd box now, 1st one was used, second one was a remanned unit from AZ and turned out to be a grand Cherokee box which didn't work so I put another used box in and the input leaks on that one too. So I'm at a point where I wonder if I should try to re-seal an old one of the 2 I have or bite the bullet and buy a new one from a vendor --- or am I having an issue. I know my way around the system just cant figure out what could be causing this issue that I might have overlooked. I have run this set up in a 3rd gen before, LS1 steering pump to the 3rd gen box and never had any high pressure issues or heat but this swap seems to not be working out as nicely. Any input is appreciated.

Project92rs
09-06-2017, 06:19 AM
After having to replace the parts store box on our 3rd gen on an annual basis due to leaks, we finally broke down and ordered a gear box from Turn One. Quite a bit more expensive but so far it's been a better box. We're also running a similar combo to the one you mentioned. LS steering pump to a 3rd gen steering gear box.

67FirebirdKiller
09-06-2017, 06:51 AM
After having to replace the parts store box on our 3rd gen on an annual basis due to leaks, we finally broke down and ordered a gear box from Turn One. Quite a bit more expensive but so far it's been a better box. We're also running a similar combo to the one you mentioned. LS steering pump to a 3rd gen steering gear box.

Thanks for the recommendation, those are pricey! I may break down and buy one though if it means solving my leaking problems.

67FirebirdKiller
09-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Anyone ever use the Flaming River box FR1560?

H20cooled
09-06-2017, 05:16 PM
You could send in your 3rd gen steering box and the pump to Lee's power steering, they can rebuild it and then dyno test the setup to make sure that everything is setup the way it should be. I did this with my 3rd gen box and pump and they did a great job. The price is not cheap but it was less then buying a new one. Here is there site- http://leepowersteering.com/

67FirebirdKiller
09-07-2017, 04:41 AM
You could send in your 3rd gen steering box and the pump to Lee's power steering, they can rebuild it and then dyno test the setup to make sure that everything is setup the way it should be. I did this with my 3rd gen box and pump and they did a great job. The price is not cheap but it was less then buying a new one. Here is there site- http://leepowersteering.com/

Thanks for the suggestion, I saw something about Lee boxes, I will look into them as an alternative as well.

a67
09-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Couple of things that come to mind, do the LS P/S pumps run at a higher pressure? If so that may be the issue with the seal.

Another idea is, are you sure it is the shaft seal and not the high pressure fitting that is leaking?

Bob.

67FirebirdKiller
09-12-2017, 05:39 AM
Couple of things that come to mind, do the LS P/S pumps run at a higher pressure? If so that may be the issue with the seal.

Another idea is, are you sure it is the shaft seal and not the high pressure fitting that is leaking?

Bob.

Bob I have confirmed both, it is from the input shaft and as far as I know the F-body LS steering pumps do run higher pressure but not enough to cause issues. Havent seen the issue pop up much on third gen swaps that use the factory steering box.

a67
09-14-2017, 03:48 AM
Bob I have confirmed both, it is from the input shaft and as far as I know the F-body LS steering pumps do run higher pressure but not enough to cause issues. Havent seen the issue pop up much on third gen swaps that use the factory steering box.

OK, was just some ideas. As you mentioned in your opening post, maybe try a new seal. Being that it is right up top (so to speak), it should be easy to replace.

Bob.

David Pozzi
09-14-2017, 06:18 AM
Changing the upper seal is pretty easy. Just back off the large jam nut, unscrew the upper housing & the seal is pressed into it. I think there's an O ring too. There art at least two different seal diameters, an early, & a late, the change happening in the 70's.

David Pozzi
09-14-2017, 06:35 AM
View this at 15 minutes in. https://youtu.be/iqqqdQMljm0

67FirebirdKiller
09-25-2017, 05:40 AM
Changing the upper seal is pretty easy. Just back off the large jam nut, unscrew the upper housing & the seal is pressed into it. I think there's an O ring too. There art at least two different seal diameters, an early, & a late, the change happening in the 70's.

View this at 15 minutes in. https://youtu.be/iqqqdQMljm0

David thanks for your recommendations, appreciate the input. I didn't see your replies and I ended up R&R'ing all the parts with a new remaned box, another remaned steering pump and added a steering cooler this past weekend. After installation and idling the car, lock to lock on the lift, then lock to lock with the cars weight on it, I took it for a drive and I had no steering pump whine at all, wheel effeort was nice and smooth and all seemed to working perfect. Came back to the shop and all of sudden I lost all power assist in the steering again. As I was getting the car back to the lift making like an 8 point turn the hard way, steering suddenly came back. Is this a sign of some air trapped in my steering box? There are no leaks, no groans, steering pump is quiet as can be... ?

67FirebirdKiller
09-25-2017, 05:48 AM
Now that I think of it, would a tight seal steering pump reservoir cap cause air to stay trapped in the system and build up too much pressure when driving it? I did noticed when I took off the cap this time it has a suction sound which I thought was kind of odd. Maybe its building pressure up in the box from trapped air and the fluid eventually pushes through the input seal because it has no where to go (it cant make its way back up to the reservoir?)

67FirebirdKiller
09-29-2017, 10:13 AM
replaced the pump a 3rd time (remanufactured pumps), all is well (for now)