PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood Mustang II Pro Spindles

GT_Rich
09-03-2017, 06:12 AM
http://www.wilwood.com/Spindles/SpindleProd.aspx?itemno=830-9807

Has anyone here used these spindles? I have two cars with MII style suspensions which use the standard 2" MII drop spindle. These Wilwood spindles move the upper ball joint location a half inch taller which should improve camber gain. Other than that I'm not sure what advantages or disadvantages they offer. I'd love to here from someone who has used them or understands what other changes come with them. And what brakes you used.
Thanks,
Rich

65 drop top
09-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Wilwood makes brake kits that'll bolt right on to the spindle. Art Morrison helped Wilwood with the new spindle design. AME uses this spindle on a lot of their performance chassis. Here is a page from the AME catalog about the spindle,

New Premium Quality Forged Steel Assembly
Is The Perfect Replacement For Mustang II
The venerable Mustang II front spindle has been a staple in I.F.S. setups for street rods and street machines. But as anyone who has had to use the OEM Mustang II
unit, and aftermarket copies knows, there are shortcomings. That’s why AME has collaborated with Wilwood Engineering in the development of this new spindle that should prove to become the standard of the industry.
It’s made from a high strength steel forging and heat-treated to
provide increased levels of
durability. The forgings are CNC-
machined to exacting tolerances, and incorporate important design features. The unit is taller than the OEM Mustang II to provide improved geometry. There is a greatly reduced roll center migration. And the unit
has been designed to accommodate radial
mount calipers and rotors up to 14"
diameter. A bolt-in retrofit for existing
Mustang II units, it’s the answer for anyone
wanting to equip their ride with serious
braking power, while improving handling.

GT_Rich
09-07-2017, 06:54 PM
After more research on these spindles I decided against them. The KPI is three degrees higher than a Mustang II spindle which really hurts. Furthermore the overall height is only a half inch higher and it cannot readily mount GM metric calipers. So, I bought Howe Racing 1" taller upper ball joints to help my situation.