PDA

View Full Version : Classic Inustries subwoofer panel

streetk14
11-24-2005, 11:22 AM
I was looking through the classic industries camaro catalog and saw a 1st gen camaro subwoofer package. It mounts against the rear seat from inside the trunk. It has 2 8" subs and a 200 watt amp. I'm not sure what brand/quality the comonents are. The speakers are not enclosed, and from the picture I can't tell if they fire toward the rear of the car, or the interior. It is in their 2005 catalog, but I couldn't find a picture online to post. I just wanted some opinions from you stereo guys on how you think they would sound. I'm looking to add some more bass to my system. I have a 50w x4 kenwood deck with 2 6.5"s in the kick panels and 2 6x9's in the rear shelf right now. It sounds good enough, but you really can't hear any bass over the sound of the exhaust. I have a fuel cell in the trunk right now, so fitting a box in the trunk is a problem.

MoeBawlz
11-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Chances are the bass fires rearward as for the best bass it should fire off the back and bounce back to the interior of the car. with the fuel cell back there it wont help your sound, its going to send the soundwaves in some crazy way and it might not sound as good as it should.

Space is always an issue and its not fun to deal with in a lot of cases. Ive done a lot of major installs before most recently was in a buick park avenue with 3 12" subs and 2 8" subs, along with 5 amps in the truck. ended up being REAL tight... the HUGE truck is now limited to fitting 1 set of golf clubs because the box had to be built a specific size for airspace and also the amps had to sit back there and have room to cool off. The 8" subs however went into the rear deck and rear seat.

have you considered puting like an 8" sub in the rear deck? you j ust have to build a box around the back of the sub and brace it up. If your interested i can try to get some pics of the buick.

also subs dont HAVE to be in the truck, they are usually put there due to the space they take up, if you run smaller subs you could even build something to sit in the kick panel or behind the seats. ive seen a few guys put 8" subs in kick panels, but those are mostly the guys who are real big into audio.

streetk14
11-24-2005, 02:53 PM
I was actually considering doing a box inside the car. I plan to remove the mostly useless back seat when I do my roll cage, and I was thinking of having a shelf-style box built where the rear seat bottom used to sit. Either 2 8"s or 1 10". I don't want huge bass. A friend of mine has a '68 firebird with just one 10" sub in a box in the trunk. He also has (I think) 6x9's on the rear shelf and 6.5"s in the door panels. I know he used top-end stuff, but that thing sounds awesome. The bass hits really clean and crisp. It also sounds great with any type of music. That's kind of what I'm after. I am more than happy to hear any ideas.
-Andy

MoeBawlz
11-24-2005, 09:24 PM
if your looking for clean and crisp i would definately go with putting 8s or 10s in the car, they give you the best hit and good overall bass. I tend to stick with 10s for clarity, and only run bass to them, make sure you run cross overs to set the frequencys for each set of speakers. running a set of coaxials in the doors would be great for midrange and then you may consider tweeters for your highs either in the doors or in the dash. if you dont want to run the tweeters you can run highs through the coaxials but they wont be as clear. in most cars i do, they have 6-8 speakers, high, mid, and low or high, mid, low mid, and low. Make sure to cut all the bass to your midrange and highs too or else it will sound like garbage, and thats how you kill speakers. running bass through a tweeter or midrange speaker destroys them. reason being that bass is distortion, and distortion kills speakers.

as far as subs go, i am a JL man all the way. ive stuck by them for a long time and they make a damn good sub. their new V2 series with dual voice coils are great subs, i have 2 in my daily driver and will have 2 in the Camaro when its done. The only drawback to these subs is that they are heavy, and require lots of airspace. but on the plus side, that means more boom. also keep in mind that the box doesnt have to be as big as the manufacturers specs say, you can either overdrive the sub or poly fill inside the box, it acts as fake airspace.

just my opinion on subs, my advice is to shop around and find yourself a good deal, cus i know how rediculously priced things can be and just how quickly you can drop several thousand dollars on a system. much like your friend, all we do is high end equipment and things get a little crazy sometimes, like that buick i was saying about. there is well over 12k in the stereo alone.. thats the kinda number to make anyone feel sick to their stomach.

audio is much like speed... its a horrible drug, and once you get hooked theirs no turning back.

streetk14
11-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have no problem admitting that I don't know too much about building a good sound system. One question for you though. I noticed that pioneer makes a replacement dash speaker for my car. My original dash speaker disapeared before I bought the car. They have 2 80 watt, 4" speakers with 1 1/8" tweeters. I'm not sure how they would sound, or if this would be necessary with the 6.5"s in the kick panels. What do you think?

MoeBawlz
11-26-2005, 12:07 AM
well my advice is to run mids through your kick panels with the 6.5" speakers, and you can get the 4" with the tweets in them for your upper and highs. However I would say, try it without the 4" speakers and 1 1/8" tweets, and see how you like it, theres always room to upgrade. just test it out before you assemble all of the interior, cus its never fun to tear back into an interior after you just finished it.

i personally like to hear every bit of a cymbal touch so i have to have my tweeters. while there can be a lot of "by the book" tuning for stereos, i personally believe in my own ear. If it sounds good to me then ill leave it as it is, if the highs or lows sound weak, then ill add as needed.

XTRMEASURES
11-26-2005, 11:22 AM
what was the price of the kit?????

streetk14
11-27-2005, 01:58 AM
what was the price of the kit?????

I think it was $220. That was for the assembled panel with 2 8" woofers, amp and all necesary wiring.

XTRMEASURES
11-28-2005, 07:39 AM
for that price i wouldn waist my time.

MoeBawlz
11-28-2005, 08:40 AM
if the cost of two subs and an amp are $200. Chances are its not gonna be what your looking for. For good stereo equipment, your gonna be spending more than that especially if it includes the box. and making your own box is not hard, all you need is MDF board a table saw and some time. Id definately say shop around for something in the price of what your looking to spend and check out magazines and comparisons. Like i said before, i usually use JL subs but the new V2 subs are expensive and you need a powerful amp to push them, so cost gets up there real easy.

codycr6
12-02-2005, 08:02 AM
I worked as a installer for years for high-end audio shops. My recommendation would be a nice 4-channel amp on your current high end, a decent 2 channel or mono class-d on a pair of quality 10 inch subs, and a good electronic crossover to seperate them around 80 Hz. If you put them in the area that used to be your seat bottom, make sure you fit a really good barrier where your seat back used to be, otherwise you will have cancelation. I recommend something along the line of Resonant Engineering for subs, http://www.reaudio.com/

scogin918
12-02-2005, 10:10 AM
JL audio all the way for your subs. Boston Acoustic or MB Quart for everything else. I like Precision Power for the amp, but that's just me.

datsbad
12-02-2005, 08:31 PM
I had one 12" JL AUDIO W7 in mine , iT ROCKED SOOOOO GOOD !!!! All JL amps too

streetk14
12-03-2005, 10:55 AM
I worked as a installer for years for high-end audio shops. My recommendation would be a nice 4-channel amp on your current high end, a decent 2 channel or mono class-d on a pair of quality 10 inch subs, and a good electronic crossover to seperate them around 80 Hz. If you put them in the area that used to be your seat bottom, make sure you fit a really good barrier where your seat back used to be, otherwise you will have cancelation. I recommend something along the line of Resonant Engineering for subs, http://www.reaudio.com/

I plan to have a solid trunk firewall made. Then I will cover everything with dynamat and carpet. That should probably be good enough, right?

68protouring454
12-03-2005, 11:01 AM
anyone have pics of this panel?

streetk14
12-03-2005, 11:24 AM
anyone have pics of this panel?

It's in their catalog, but I couldn't find a pic of it online. Maybe someone with a catalog could scan us a picture?