PDA

View Full Version : help!!! cant get spindle off!!

69chevelle355
09-20-2004, 08:17 AM
i was working on getting my disc brakes off of one car and onto the other. except that i can't get the spindle off of the a-arms. i tried a pickle fork, i tried a crow bar, i even tried to take the arms completely off, but they are rusted on! does anyone have any tips on how to get spindles off?? TIA
-Jay

KWIKND
09-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Jay,
I used to work on heavy trucks and we would either use an air chisel with a punch style bit or a big short handled hammer and hit the spindle collar a few times hard!! :comp3: The taper of the bore makes it pop right out. Don't forget about the spring!! Get a good floor jack under the LCA.
Good Luck
Dan
http://www.strangemotion.com/html/whats_happenin.html

Norwoodx55
09-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Jay, Dan's method of using the big hammer is what has worked best for me. And you will probably have to hit the spindle way harder than you think. Loosen up the nut and hit the spindle right where the ball joint stud passes through. If that doesn't work, your hammer is too small. Gook luck.
Brett

69chevelle355
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
thanks for the info guys.....i'll go at it again in a couple of days. i actually tried a cro-bar the day after i posted this and it slipped busted me in the mouth and i had to get stitches. (stupid me)
-Jay