PDA

View Full Version : Shorty headers?

blown69nova
11-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Can anyone suggest a good sbc shorty header for my 69 nova? The Hedman's look great but they don't fit with p/s box? Any experience?
Thanks, Steve

USAZR1
11-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Try Sandersons.

rumblee
11-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I dont have shortys...but I can say that my long tube 1-3/4" dougs headers fit just fine with my power steering box. Oh yeah, its a 69 nova as well.

parsonsj
11-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Just a thought on shorty headers:

They have all the disadvantages of headers (leaks, short life span, re-routes of exhaust, possible fitment issues, etc.) with none of the performance advantages. In short, they aren't worth the headache of installing in a car that already has a working exhaust.

That said, if you are building the car and don't already have an exhaust setup and are looking for something that is better looking than cast iron manifolds, shorties can do that. If you are looking for better than oem exhaust flow, you need to look for longer tubes.

A good source for shorties are street rod dealers, like Sachse Rod Shop (http://www.sachserodshop.com).

jp

68camaro396
11-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Check out Patriot Clipsters. They are "shorties" by definition I guess, but aren't as short as your typical set. Also they are angled back towards the firewall allowing more clearance around your PS pump.

They come in Ceramic Coated as well as Bare Metal.

Patriot is a Pertronix company.

Pertronix (http://www.pertronix.com)

USAZR1
11-29-2005, 06:49 PM
You guys are confusing shorties with intermediates. Most street rod shorty headers won't even clear our car's crossmembers.
Intermediates have proven to be decent power producers. Shorties have not.

blown69nova
11-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Yes, intermediates are exactly what I meant! I have been looking at Hedman Elites, Hooker and the Patriot clipsters. The Hedmans look great with 3/8" flanges and 14 ga tubes. I was hoping to get some real experiences with any of these.
Thanks, Steve

parsonsj
11-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Agreed: mid-length headers have been shown to increase power.

jp

USAZR1
11-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes, intermediates are exactly what I meant! I have been looking at Hedman Elites, Hooker and the Patriot clipsters. The Hedmans look great with 3/8" flanges and 14 ga tubes. I was hoping to get some real experiences with any of these.
Thanks, Steve

Manual trans or auto? I think the Sandersons are the only intermediate that will clear the clutch Z-bar. F-body cars might be different but that's the case with an A-body. I've used Sanderson intermediates on my former 68 El Camino with 468/700R4 combo and liked them alot.
Check out their ball & socket exhaust flange set-up,,much better than the standard three-point.

jski67
11-30-2005, 05:00 PM
I picked up a set of big block coated Patriot Clipsters from http://www.carshopinc.com. Only $259...about $40 cheaper than Summit.

I haven't installed them yet, but they look nice. I'm pretty sure they
won't work with a stock manual clutch. I'm using a t-56/hydraulic clutch, so I think they'll fit ok.

Jason

yellowrallys
12-05-2005, 09:03 AM
yes, they will work with the stock clutch set up. I have a pair on my 69 BB Camaro.

Derek69SS
12-05-2005, 09:30 AM
I bought the Hedman Elites, which are very similar to the Patriot Clipsters, except they're available with 1-5/8" tubes, where the clipsters are, I believe only 1-1/2" (or maybe that was the sandersons I was looking at... just bought them 3 weeks ago, you'd think I could remember :hmm: )

Travis B
12-05-2005, 10:13 AM
I bought the Hedman Elites, which are very similar to the Patriot Clipsters, except they're available with 1-5/8" tubes, where the clipsters are, I believe only 1-1/2" (or maybe that was the sandersons I was looking at... just bought them 3 weeks ago, you'd think I could remember :hmm: )

I have the same headers....very nice product!

MarkM66
12-06-2005, 08:18 AM
The Patriots are 1 5/8" tube.

I need some mid lengths for my '70 Nova. The Hookers I have on there now just hang way to low. I'm just not sure if the mid lengths will work with my square port exhaust.

Travis B
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
The Patriots are 1 5/8" tube.

I need some mid lengths for my '70 Nova. The Hookers I have on there now just hang way to low. I'm just not sure if the mid lengths will work with my square port exhaust.

mark I got my midlengths from http://www.jet-hot.com/ you might be able to call them and see if they have a header available that will work for your application.

zbugger
12-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Take a look at the Hedman 68600 headers. I have the 68601's on my camaro, and they work great. The are intermediate length, and have great ground clearance. They do not clear the manual z-bar, but they do clear the steering box on a first gen. The tubes are 1 5/8 and clear the straight plugs pretty well. I believe they are available coated as well. Mark, I have stock square type exhaust ports and they work fine with them. I use the Earl's Pressure Master seals on them though, and that really helps them to not leak.

MarkM66
12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
mark I got my midlengths from http://www.jet-hot.com/ you might be able to call them and see if they have a header available that will work for your application.

I'm actually worried about where the header meets the head. My ProToplins have pretty large square ports. I need to get a measurement on them to see if a 1 5/8" tube will cover.

MarkM66
12-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Take a look at the Hedman 68600 headers. I have the 68601's on my camaro, and they work great. The are intermediate length, and have great ground clearance. They do not clear the manual z-bar, but they do clear the steering box on a first gen. The tubes are 1 5/8 and clear the straight plugs pretty well. I believe they are available coated as well. Mark, I have stock square type exhaust ports and they work fine with them. I use the Earl's Pressure Master seals on them though, and that really helps them to not leak.

Thanks, I'll look into them. I actually emailed Hedman about these headers. Their response was "we don't offer headers for non-stock heads" so they weren't much help.

zbugger
12-07-2005, 04:35 PM
lol... I checked them on my Sportsman II's and they look to fit fine. The only time I think you'll have a problem is if you have raised ports. Most aftermarket heads don't differ too much from stock measurements until you go into the raised port stuff specifically for racing.

70ptta
02-20-2006, 08:49 AM
i had some sanderson. nice thick flange never leaked.

vanzuuk1
11-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Any photos of the hedmans or patriots on a first gen?