PDA

View Full Version : RideTech front suspension package vs. DSE Speed Kit 3

LonghornJPS
07-17-2017, 06:44 PM
Hey all,
Is anyone running the RideTech front suspension package (coil overs, StrongArm U/L control arms, spindles and tru-turn system) with a DSE quadralink and DSE tubs in the rear? I have a 67 Camaro that I'm considering this package, but wonder if the DSE Speed Kit 3 is a better choice. Definitely going with the DSE quadralink and tubs in the back. I've read that it's not good to "mix and match" suspension components, but wanted to know if any of you have done this combo and what your thoughts are.
Thanks,
John

lsa1stgen
07-18-2017, 01:27 PM
i have full ride tech on my 68 and could not be happier. Iam going to be mini tubing it with Detroit Speed tub kit over winter

dhutton
07-18-2017, 02:55 PM
My advice to you is to spend a little more for a full subframe. I built a 69 Camaro with the Ridetech level 2, Tru-Turn and Turn One steering box for my wife and I find the front suspension to be somewhat lacking compared to the cars I have owned with aftermarket subframes....

Don

LonghornJPS
07-20-2017, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. Anyone else out there with any thoughts on the subject?

marolf101x
07-20-2017, 04:02 AM
My question would be are you set on the DSE rear kit? And if so, why?
Typically I don't like mixing parts, but DSE and our stuff play together nicely so long as you use one manufacturers shocks. Of course I suggest our Fox based coil overs as they carry a 1,000,001 mile warranty.

DSE Speed Kit 3 with single adjustable shocks: $4060.00
DSE Quadralink rear with single adjustable shocks: $3100.00
Total: $7160.00

Ridetech front coil over kit; rear 4-link, single adjustable shocks: $4910.00
Ridetech TurnOne 600 steering box: $1300.00
Ridetech steering kit (inner and outer tie rods, billet adjusters, idler and pitman arms):$295.00
Total: $6505.00

If you are having this installed the DSE kit will require more hours as it's more involved.

Just wanted to get the apples out there, as it were.

LonghornJPS
07-20-2017, 08:46 AM
I already have the DSE Quadralink and tubs, which is why I asked. Just wasn't sure if the Ridetech front end stuff would "play well" with the DSE stuff in the rear, or would I be better off sticking with with the DSE Speed Kit 3 (which has the steering box included).
The main appeal of the Ridetech front end for me is the Tru Turn system. I slogged through the 15 page thread on this trying to see if anyone had run the DSE rear combo withe the Ridetech front and what their opinion of it was. If money was no object, I would just go with the DSE subframe ��. Or even more ideally, the Alston full chassis.

marolf101x
07-20-2017, 07:04 PM
I see no issue using DSE rear and our front. DSE and ourselves (and many other decent manufacturers) subscribe to the same geometry philosophy. There's only a couple of ways to keep modern tires on the pavement at all times and make old cars drive like new cars, so we've all made strides to this end. . .how far each manufacturer has pushed this envelop is a question for another thread.
It's really pretty simple, for example in an old GM muscle car we all strive to achieve more static caster, more dynamic caster, more static camber, more dynamic camber gain, roll center above ground under braking but not too high at ride height, roll center migration in the correct direction and within limits, a certain amount of roll angle, and on and on and on.

As an example, I know Steve Hayes and his Dust Off Camaro use the DSE hydro formed front subframe and our rear with great success.

We want to optimize the OE subframe as much as we can, which is why we offer the TruTurn systems. Those that make subframes or full chassis typically pass on optimizing the stock stub and focus on their "higher end" parts. It's understandable as it takes a crap ton of time to get these old cars working correctly and if you have a premium product, why sink that time into the stock parts.
I truly believe this is where we are better than Kyle's stuff. (don't get me wrong, Kyle makes really, really nice parts. . we use a number of them in our own projects)

As most of the reputable manufactures that participate on this forum are all headed in the same direction I honestly wouldn't be too afraid to mix and match "hard" parts for a typically street driven car. I would, however, use only one shock absorber on all corners. Mixing shocks is where you can really get into trouble. Though we all mostly agree on geometry, there are a number of different theories on dampers, and theories on intended uses of these dampers. If you want to know why we use what we use, please ask away. I enjoy talking shocks and theories, but it's too much to just start babbling about in this post.

LonghornJPS
07-21-2017, 06:06 AM
Britt,
Thanks for the response. So if I understand correctly, mixing shocks is where I can get into trouble, but the "hard parts" should be fine together. So, I need to either 1) get HQ shocks all around or 2) get JRI shocks all around, as the DSE rear comes with JRI shocks, your stuff with the HQ shocks.
In your catalogue (page 28), I don't see HQ compatibility with DSE quadralink listed. The JRI info doesn't have Ridetech compatibility listed, so it would appear that I can't replace the JRI in the quadralink with HQs, (which was an idea). Is my reasoning correct on this, or am I missing something?
Sorry to be a PITA, just wanted to make sure I am correct in my understanding of the options.

marolf101x
07-21-2017, 08:10 AM
You can fit our HQ shocks in the DSE quadralink, no problem. You just need our 4.1" stroke unit.
Here's a link to the universal coil over HQ page. Just select 4.1" from the dropdown:
http://www.ridetech.com/applications/streetrods/coilover-shock-2.9-stroke-single-adjustable/

LonghornJPS
07-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Britt,
Thanks for the link!! 1.7" eye mount or 2" stud mount?

marolf101x
07-21-2017, 11:53 AM
You'll want eye mounts. Our shocks use a bearing with a 5/8" ID. We supply spacer/adapters so you can use either 5/8" or 1/2" bolts, and have a standard mounting width of 1.25".

LonghornJPS
07-29-2017, 07:06 AM
Britt,
Thanks for all the great info! Last (hopefully not-too-stupid) question: the HQ shocks are fine to use with the quadralink-supplied coilover springs, or do I need to get the coilovers from you? and if so, what length?
John

marolf101x
07-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Our coil overs all use standard 2.5" ID coil springs. We happen to use Hyperco exclusively as we feel they are the best in the world.
You should be able to use the DSE supplied springs, but you'll want to check once assembled for proper function. . .mainly make sure they don't come unseated during full suspension extension and don't coil bind at full suspension compression.

LonghornJPS
07-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks, Britt! You've been awesome!
John

jasonsnova
07-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Ive got ride tech front stage 2 coilovers/ arms and truturn , i also have ride tech 4 link rear and stage 2 coil overs and dse mini tubs in my nova .....i couldnt be happier.
My car is a turbo ls t56 car putting down close to 700rwhp and i am amazed how well it hooks and handles awesome . Even when it does kick the tires off its not scary....perfectly straight and easy to control.
Ridetech for the win....!

MCB Matt
08-07-2017, 12:59 PM
I was going to suggest running Ridetech Coilover's on the Quadralink as well. We have set many guys up that way and it works well!
Matt