PDA

View Full Version : Debating on SFC's on 1969 Firebird

JLMounce
07-17-2017, 02:15 PM
My car is in desperate need of new subframe bushings and I'm about ready to purchase a set of solid bushings for it. My internal debate is on whether or not doing sub-frame connectors is something I should be doing or may not make that much of a difference.

I'll preface that starting off by stating that through the floor SFC's like Detroit Speeds aren't an option. I don't have the welding or body experience to do it right myself and the shops around my area that I trust to tackle such a job are typically booked 3 years out unless it's collision based stuff.

So that leaves with with the bolt on subframe connectors from places like Hotchkis, Global West, PTFB etc.

Currently my bird is still fairly stock. It has the following suspension changes

Hotchkis 3" drop leafs
Hotchkis 2" drop springs (BB rate for 455 Poncho)
Gabriel VST shocks
.5" tall ball joints
Modern alignment
17x8 front w/ 245/45/17 BFG Sport Comp II
17x9.5 rear w/ 275/40/17 BFG Sport Comp II

Everything else about the chassis and suspension is as it came from Pontiac in 1969. The car is used 98% as a street car and for that purpose it does pretty well. It may see a couple trips down the drag strip per season and because I don't have an upgraded oiling system, I don't do any cornering events with it for fear of ruining the engine. This is a goal within the next couple years however is to do a couple auto-x events during the summer.

Given the car's usage and setup, I am questioning the need for SFC's at all. Especially considering I'm looking at the bolt-in variety. I'm sure they won't hurt, but some of these parts are near or over $400.00 and I can better use that money elsewhere on the car.

Any advise here is appreciated. Also if you have a recommendation, that is appreciated as well. Thanks guys!

ilikeike
07-17-2017, 02:29 PM
Since you don't want the DSE style, I think the Hotchkis look the best,and fit really well (I have them). You still need to do some welding on the rear part of the connector though.

I'm using global west solid bushings made to work with the Hotchkis SFC. I called to get the right ones,don't recall the p/n#

JLMounce
07-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Since you don't want the DSE style, I think the Hotchkis look the best,and fit really well (I have them). You still need to do some welding on the rear part of the connector though.

I'm using global west solid bushings made to work with the Hotchkis SFC. I called to get the right ones,don't recall the p/n#

Yeah, should have mentioned, I do know about welding on the rear. There's a couple performance exhaust shops in my area that I can get the car in for a big of welding like that fairly easily.

BMR Sales
07-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Yes, you need Subframe Connectors.

We have a Bolt-In Option for you

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=228&superpro=0

Nativefx
09-05-2017, 08:44 PM

ilikeike, do you have these in an f-body with a stock subframe? I bought the Hotchkiss SFC and currently have them mocked up on my 69 firebird, but I keep wondering whether or not these alone will be sufficient since i am still using the stock sub? I really don't want to put a cage in the car but I'm worried it will still have to much flex? I've been thinking about selling the hotchkiss sfc and going with the Chassisworks g-connector to get more stiffness? Can you give me your thoughts on the hotchkis and whether you are running the stock sub?

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1591-camaro-67-69-firebird-67-69-f-body-g-connector-system-for-oem-subframe.aspx

the other nice thing is this has the driveshaft loop as well.

thanks, jake