PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Recommendations

ProModMike
07-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Hello everyone. First post here. Been a long time reader and follower of all the info here.

Hoping for some expert input on this. I'm going to be relocating the shocks inboard of the leaf springs under my 67 Camaro. I'll be using this bracket: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-3019

I'll be using the ears on my traction bars for the lower shock mounts as they have ears for the normal 67 shock location as well as fore and aft of the axle inboard of the springs. My question is can anyone recommend a good shock that I can get my hands on that has eyelet mounts on both ends and will be the correct length and work well. My car is lowered 1" in the rear with multi-leafs. I was able to cross reference a rear shock from a 96 Nissan hardbody truck, but I'm unsure on whether or not they would be the correct length and handle properly.

I'm relocating the shocks from in between the wheel and the leaf springs in order to fit my new 18x9.5 US Mags under there with a 275/35 tire, in case anyone is curious. That should fit, right? Maybe need to roll the fender lips a little?

Thanks in advance!!

Ron Sutton
07-10-2017, 09:05 AM
If you provide me the center of eyelet to center of eyelet dimension of the rear shocks at ride height, I can recommend the correct shocks for you.

ProModMike
07-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Hi Ron,

COE to COE at ride height is 13.75". Thanks!

Ron Sutton
07-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Hi Ron,

COE to COE at ride height is 13.75". Thanks!

In the rear only ... we want the shock somewhat close to centered in it's travel. I like to have 2" of travel each way (up/down or compression/rebound). So if we run a 4" shock I like to be almost spot on. If we can fit a longer shock in there, with more travel, we have some fudge room.
*In the front, we always want more of the shock travel for compression & less for extension. 3-1 is a guide, but if I have an inch, or a little more, of extension, I consider that adequate.

With a 13.75" eye-to-eye length at ride height, a lot of 5" stroke shocks will work well for you. You'll want to check their full extended & compressed lengths. You need "around" 16.25" fully extended & 11.25" fully compressed.

Ridetech has great monotube design coil over shock (Modern technology) with 5.2" travel that would fit well & have about 2-1/2" compression & 2-5/8" rebound travel available. This is a 2" OD shock. You could run it as a non coil-over, as I often do. This is a single adjustable shock, so you can dial in the ride quality & handling to suit your tastes. Part #24159901 Cost is $265 each for regular valving.

They also have a replacement shock, which are the typical smooth body 1.5" OD. It is still the preferred mono-tube design. This is a single adjustable shock also. Part # 22159841 Cost $185 each.

There are less expensive shocks out there that are the older twin tube design. I just don't sell twin tube shocks anymore. If your budget allows, always buy monotube shocks. If not, hopefully someone that sells twin tube shocks can jump on here & give you part #s & prices too.

:cheers: