PDA

View Full Version : Considering LS1 motor in 1st gen Camaro...mounting??

BuddyP
11-22-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm pretty sure I want to do a LS1 with a 6 speed with my '68 camaro project. What mounting hardware/issues should I be looking out for.

Mainly want know what I need (and who to get it from) for tranny adaptor crossmember (or can I use stock crossmember?) and motor mounts/mounting. The less $$$ I have to spend the better for my budget, but at the same time I will spend more to do it right the first time around.

What are some of the other things like gas tank, fuel pump, radiators, misc, ect.? Just want to be able to keep my eye out for some of this stuff in case I find something nice and used for sale somewhere.

Thanks
Buddy P

SatisTraction
12-01-2005, 10:52 AM
to spend the least amount of $$$$ you need to do lots of reading :)

Rybar
12-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Here is a good thread with some info and links to help you out:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409182

Also try a search on LS1tech, you'll find tons of info.

I guess you have to decide if you want to go with the BRP kit, S&P kit or ATS kit.

BRP: mounts motor so you can use factory accesories and AC, but must use SW longtubes which require rack & pinion steering. Stock oil pan can be left as-is

S&P: mounts motor so you can use factory accesories but not AC, you keep the stock steering with thier shorty headers. You can use AC if you run thier expensive accesory kit. This also requires notching the stock LS1 F-body oil pan.

ATS: probably the best engineered kit, but with the price of their headers, would probably put this at the top for price.

I went with S&P motor mounts, oil pan mod & headers, and ATS T56 install kit and kept my stock rear-steer with gearbox. I now know that stainless works makes longtubes that fit the stock steering, but am not sure if they'll work with the S&P motor mounts.

Here are the SW headers: http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php?cPath=94_250_251

You can find cheap mounts on ebay that copy the S&P ones.

Anyways, start reading!!