PDA

View Full Version : Problems shifting to 3rd gear withTKO 500

shoe4hire
11-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Is anyone else having any problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear with a TKO 500? All other gears feal fine but going from 2nd to 3rd is difficult to find the gate. I end up between 3rd and 5th. I have ordered a Pro 5.0 shifter to see if that helps the problem. Any thoughts?

sporter
11-22-2005, 07:51 AM
You're not alone. I and many others have had a tough time speed shifting the TKO. I've owned 3 of them (TKO and TKO 600) and all were more difficult than I expected. The Pro 5.0 shifter did not really help the 3r gear issue but it did feel a bit better. My son had better luck shifting his at the track but he would still miss occasionally. The folks who race them call it the taint gear, taint 3rd and taint 5th.

Hurst - Jeff
11-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Consider the McLeod Slik Stix shifter for the TKO. The highlight of the shifter is the ease of the 2nd to 3rd shift. With the Slik Stix you just push the stick forward from 2nd and it will automatically go directly to 3rd - you do not need to "aim" the stick for the right place. It is the unique use of the Belleville spring washers that make this possible.
It is also available in various offsets for stock fitment within various console applications.
I have this shifter in my Camaro and I really like it.
You can read more about it here:
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/TKO_500_TKO_600_recommended_shifter_positions.htm.