PDA

View Full Version : Does ecoat have to be painted??

joeko23
06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Like the title suggests, does ecoated panel have to be painted? Such as the inside of a door?
Same thing with epoxy primed panels, do they need to be painted or can I just leave them in the epoxy primer?

thanks

slimjim
06-05-2017, 03:35 PM
I'm assuming you mean panels purchased in epoxy primer? once all of my body work was done, we sanded all of the epoxy off the outside of the car that came from AMD and dynacorn etc, in a couple spots it revealed some small surface rusted areas that they epoxied over. even their process isn't perfect. We then epoxied the whole car knowing that the steal is now perfect.

mitch_04
06-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Not all the e-coating that comes on panels is the same. Some will wipe right off with some reducer, other stuff is held on much better. With both e-coat and epoxy primer, you don't have UV resistance, so in time they will chalk/fade. I use SPI epoxy, which has some UV resistance and can last for a few years before chalking.

So....the answer is maybe.

joeko23
06-05-2017, 05:42 PM
So my car now is in full epoxy primer except the inside of the doors. Is the epoxy primer and e coat (on the inside of door) a permanent solution? Or do I need to paint the whole inside of the car (floors, doors, inside firewall, roof, trunk, etc? I'm not concerned about the outside because the body shop will paint outside and the underneath of the car is all undercoated.

By permanent solution I mean I can move onto the next part of restoration, putting in dynomat, wiring, and internal hardware, interior, etc

dhutton
06-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Epoxy on inside of doors and interior floors is fine. No need for a topcoat.

Don

joeko23
06-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks Don, thats what I was looking for!