PDA

View Full Version : 4-link: Heim joint vs Rubber/Poly bushing vs Johnny Joint (del-sphere)

pinebox
06-01-2017, 01:25 PM
I'm working on new front brackets for the 4-link that will go under my '65 Mustang. I've read a ton regarding these 3 joints and trying to avoid/reduce some of the binding that the 4-link has. I'm planning to run bushings on the axle end of the link bars. But, what to use on the chassis end?

My first thought was the heim joints. But, I'm not real thrilled about the them wearing out and just tossing and replacing them. Not sure how many miles they will go anyway. Maybe enough that it won't be too bad. 5k? 10k? So, I'm leaning towards the Johnny Joint (del-sphere) type joints that are more durable and rebuildable. All of the joints will have 3/4" shaft on a 5/8" bolt.

Same question goes for both ends of the panhard bar. JJ's are not narrow enough for the current brackets I have. So, to use then, I'd have to build new brackets. Which is OK, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Or, just go with heims or bushings at both ends?

jetmech442
06-01-2017, 02:37 PM
On my stock 4 link(triangulated uppers) in my 69 Cutlass, I had rubber all around except for the upper frame side, which was heim. I got about 2Kmiles on them(not a lot I know, it's a work in progress) and am now converting to a 3link. No real wear on the hiems, they were up by the trunk so debris was not a huge issue.

My Fays2 Watts link runs JJ's. As the pinion angle climbs under accel the JJ's (as well as heim I'm sure) are nice because they allow free rotation. They initially would clunk as the pinion climbed, but I added the "rubber oring" on either side to absorb the noise and its silent now. I'm sure rubber would be fine also, I think the idea is to allow rotation where you need it.

You my be interested in the McMaster car catalog as they sell poly in different durometer blanks good for bushing type stuff. My upper arm will be using the 60A durometer poly (which is quite soft like rubber). I wouldn't use any of the standard hard poly stuff as it would lead to binding IMO. hope this helps.

rustomatic
06-01-2017, 02:56 PM
If you ever intend to drive the car on a gravel road, or through any sort of dirt (I live on a gravel road), heims are not your thing. One of the objectives in my current mess of a car was the removal of all heims, as I used to have mostly heims and spherical bearings. Heims also tend to increase your NVH more than a normal person would like . . .

astroracer
06-02-2017, 08:56 AM
I went with poly in the back and Johnny Joints in the front. The JJ's will eliminate any binding that may occur. I got them from Alston.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2017/06/MVC011Fvi-1.jpg?1496425666

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2017/06/MVC003Fvi-1.jpg
Mark

JustJohn
06-02-2017, 09:58 AM
I have a factory 4 link in my Impala and intentionally went with the Global West parts because they have a spherical bearing at one end and rubber at the other.

pitts64
06-03-2017, 04:41 AM
I have Spohn Del-Sphere on the back of my 69, I like them!!