PDA

View Full Version : Global West Extended Travel Control Arms

F-Body International
05-14-2017, 04:55 AM
I just ordered a set of Global West upper control arms, extended travel lower control arms and Viking coil-overs for my car this week but I just want to see if anyone else has experience with these style control arms. The Viking coil-overs I ordered from GW are the "hybrid" style that mount in the stock spring pocket. I've tried to search the forum, facebook and youtube for reviews but haven't seen much posted on them besides the sale/commercial stuff.

Anyone have any experience/reviews for this setup?

dhutton
05-14-2017, 06:19 AM
Why are you swapping out your PTFB parts?

Don

F-Body International
05-14-2017, 09:00 AM
I got the feeling you'd crack the egg on this one Don. Here's your answer and the truth with no BS...

I'm officially moving on from using any more Pro-Touring F-Body parts on my car. I know you have been waiting for me to post the review. I have not done so because PTFB Dave has not finished my parts. I paid him over $3k for everything to be done on my subframe last summer but he has only given me 1/2 of the parts I paid for and bunch of weekly excuses as to why it doesn't get finished. I have no lower control arms, no g-braces, no coilovers, various pieces of hardware, etc.

I'm just done waiting for Dave while getting fingers pointed at me on the forums. I disassembled my car to do the whole PTFB subframe build and at this point, I've lost couple thousand dollars and am left with my car taken apart. For someone who doesn't make a lot of money, like myself, it's a big loss. Since I have paid him, I have observed many things he has done in the past year. He has bought himself a 2nd project car, fixed the his roof on his house, lent his ex-girlfriend money, went to autocross races, went Trans Am Nationals, went to PRI, remodeled his Illinois shop, moved himself and his shop to Tennessee to be with his girlfriend, etc.

It's a shame because I personally know Dave at PTFB and he actually does have some great designs. The adjustable sway bar, front brake kit and upper control arms I got from him are badass and he did do a good job welding up my frame. I will give PTFB Dave credit where it's due but the reality is, he's ripping me and others off to live his life.

At this point I believe my hard-earned money put towards building my subframe is gone. Again, this is no disrespect to Dave's parts as I believe that they are good designs. I just don't think he will ever finish what I paid for.

F-Body International
05-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Why are you swapping out your PTFB parts?

Don

The above post is why I feel that I have been forced to buy another subframe and whole new suspension. I tried calling and texting PTFB Dave a couple times this week but did not receive response. He knows my number so I can only assume I'm being ignored at this point. I was hoping this thread would start out with tech/advice responses rather than, "What happened with the PTFB parts?" but that paints the truth there.

dhutton
05-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Nothing like screwing over your number one fan in the universe....

Don

F-Body International
05-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Nothing like screwing over your number one fan in the universe....

Don

I hope you got what you wanted to hear Don. Many people on this forum and other forums have made their belittling attacks toward me for trying to use PTFB parts and show the products past year. It has really burned me out of trying to be a beneficial part of the forum community. I guess I'm just not a part of the boys club you're in. Maybe it's just because I haven't been using forum-sponsored company parts? I really don't understand some of the group here.

BonzoHansen
05-14-2017, 06:48 PM
I think you found out is what has always been known. Dave makes nice stuff but delivery has always been a questionable outcome at best. You are not the first and probably not the last. I always root for dave, but the ending is usually the same. I hope his new location helps him.

Unfortunately for you, you've gone way out of your way trying to put him in a positive light, moreso than the average member here does for any particular brand. I dont think anyone here wanted this for you, but most of us knew it might end like this. BTW Dave was a sponsor here for years, so i dont think its has anything to do with that.

dhutton
05-14-2017, 06:56 PM
I hope you got what you wanted to hear Don. Many people on this forum and other forums have made their belittling attacks toward me for trying to use PTFB parts and show the products past year. It has really burned me out of trying to be a beneficial part of the forum community. I guess I'm just not a part of the boys club you're in. Maybe it's just because I haven't been using forum-sponsored company parts? I really don't understand some of the group here.

It has nothing to do with getting what I wanted to hear and I can assure you I am not a boys club member. You were a big supporter and he screwed you over. Speaks volumes of his character regardless of his talent and products.

Don

Rod
05-14-2017, 07:29 PM
I just ordered a set of Global West upper control arms, extended travel lower control arms and Viking coil-overs for my car this week but I just want to see if anyone else has experience with these style control arms. The Viking coil-overs I ordered from GW are the "hybrid" style that mount in the stock spring pocket. I've tried to search the forum, facebook and youtube for reviews but haven't seen much posted on them besides the sale/commercial stuff.

Anyone have any experience/reviews for this setup?

I like the global west stuff I used a lot of it many years ago, the extended travel arm is a good double shear retaining design, far better than using a t-bar

F-Body International
05-14-2017, 08:15 PM
I think you found out is what has always been known. Dave makes nice stuff but delivery has always been a questionable outcome at best. You are not the first and probably not the last. I always root for dave, but the ending is usually the same. I hope his new location helps him.

Unfortunately for you, you've gone way out of your way trying to put him in a positive light, moreso than the average member here does for any particular brand. I dont think and one here wanted this for you, but most of us knew it might end like this. BTW Dave was a sponsor here for years, so i dont think its has anything to do with that.

It's a shame that I tried to make a couple tech posts with the parts I had and people on this forum got offended. Yes, I was promoting some of Dave's parts. The adjustable sway bar he came up with is a badass part and think he has one of the best solid body mount setups out there. I guess those are my opinion but they are better saved for other threads. Either way, I'm done supporting or defending the PTFB name. Dave may have great designs but there's no reason me to talk positively if people don't get what they rightfully paid for.

You're also right about this happening to other people. I knew about it going in but I tried to give Dave the benefits of my doubts/concerns and got burned like others.

It's also a shame that I know some specific the people out there are keeping quiet on this subject online because they, like myself, have only been wanting to get their parts rather than put their story out there to piss Dave off. I had a couple problems with some of PTFB parts years ago and I went away for a few years because of it. I got lured back into the PTFB mess last year when I was shown the adjustable sway bar. I then pursued the whole package on my subframe. He told me everything would be quick and easy if I got the frame out of my car and brought it to the shop. It's a year later now, he's moved and I'm left with a cut frame and missing the parts I need to reassemble it. I never thought this would've happened being someone local to the shop but it all happened right in front of my face. It's just a shame overall and I can go on and on about various little points but I have to move on.

Since I haven't received any feedback and can't find much when I search for Global West stuff I ordered, I will make a new thread and review once my parts come in. This thread is already way off topic. I leave for my honeymoon tomorrow morning and will be back at the end of the week.

F-Body International
05-14-2017, 08:20 PM
I like the global west stuff I used a lot of it many years ago, the extended travel arm is a good double shear retaining design, far better than using a t-bar

Thanks for your post Rod,

I just saw your post right after I made my last one. My only concern at this point is using the "hybrid" spring design. I know others have mentioned it being a possible cause for leaking seals because the shock rod has the chance to push against the frame. I hope it'll be fine but we shall see once I get to the point of being able to drive my car.

Rod
05-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Thanks for your post Rod,

I just saw your post right after I made my last one. My only concern at this point is using the "hybrid" spring design. I know others have mentioned it being a possible cause for leaking seals because the shock rod has the chance to push against the frame. I hope it'll be fine but we shall see once I get to the point of being able to drive my car.

the hybrid style coilover setup allows the frame to take the suspension forces I have used them on many cars and I just removed a true coilovers on my shop car and installed some Viking hybrid shocks to run this season

F-Body International
06-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Sorry for the delay on providing updates on this thread. I received my Global West upper control arms two weeks ago and just re-ordered the lower control arms and springs yesterday. They should be delivered this upcoming week so I'm pretty excited about that. My credit card information was stolen right before I went on vacation so my lowers and springs didn't ship. It's a long story of why it took three weeks to get a replacement card but it's all handled now