PDA

View Full Version : OEM manual steering vs. manual and power racks

BigPerm
05-01-2017, 06:59 AM
Looking for someone to drop some general knowledge on me regarding the benefits of manual or power racks versus OEM manual steering.

Background:
I have a 1967 Mustang with manual steering. I recently replaced the worn factory 19:1 box with a 16:1 quick-ratio manual box. I love the new ratio, but the manual steering gets old, and the bump steer gets annoying.

My guess is the bump steer is more a result of suspension and alignment geometry, but who knows. From what I understand, converting to a manual rack would result in the same feel as my OEM manual box. The real advantage would be switching to a power rack. Is this true?

The other, more recent option, would be an electric steering conversion, which just mounts an electric unit under the dash.

Rod
05-01-2017, 07:15 AM
before switching I would ask that company that you plan on using to supply you with bump steer numbers (documentation prof of research, whatever) and do they back up the clamed improvement with a return policy? I have seen a few switch and not really get what was promised with a rack and then have really floaty steering and still have bump

I worked with ride tech for awhile and the mustang they had there had a power rack and that company used the rack like a k member brace ,,,, so ridetech developed a better solution than a rack....it cost a little more but works 100 times better

andrewb70
05-01-2017, 08:47 AM
I have a TCP manual rack in my Cougar and steering effort is high. Part of this is my alignment specs. My plan is to dial out the bump steer with a butter tired dumpster kit and add electric steering from a Toyota Prius. The Mustang forums have a lot of information on this.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/1008722-electric-steering-fail-safe-no-ebay-module-needed-pics-videos.html

Andrew