PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your rims clean...there has to be an easier way!!!

rocketrod
09-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep a set of rims clean (TT IIs). Currently I am using Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and tons of elbow grease!!! :box2: I have thought about clearcoating but I think that would be a bad idea. My other thought is to by a polisher and just dedicate a couple hours of my life each month ( :screwy: ), or at least as long as I own the car/rims, to polishing. Any thoughts on the topic would be appreciated and thanks for any ideas in advance......

Rod

yody
09-19-2004, 07:30 PM
The BEST polish ever is Heavy metal polish....period, no other compares, it is almost like water goes on super easy, and comes off super easy. THis is what my ceramic coater uses to polish headers etc.. the next best you can buy at some kragens, it is called Blue Majic. I would also consider using the zoops seal. it is a pain in the ass to put on, but should work great from what i have read, eastwood has good prices on it

RatMalibu
09-20-2004, 09:39 AM
mothers works good if the wheels are super nasty but its almost to abrasive too be used as a "finish".........Yody's suggestions are good ones.....I have a friend that swears by the zoop seal......i haven't had a set of wheels I really cared enough to keep clean till now lol...we'll see what happens :)

68protouring454
09-20-2004, 10:30 AM
yody, where do you buy heavy metal??, also you won't need to polish them for long, as soon as you add 13 inch front brakes, you will need rims as the tt II's will not work, but hey once you sell your other camaro, you will be all set.
jake

astroracer
09-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Look here...
http://www.brilexsolutions.com/page6.html
I have used Blue Magic for years but I'll pick up some of this stuff to try it out...
Mark

CAMAROBOY69
09-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Rod,
Were your rims dirty or oxidized and this is the first time using Mothers on them? Usually once you use mothers cleaner on aluminum wheels they stay clean forever. I have used Mothers forever and it never scratched any of my wheels or any aluminum. Red jar white cap. :drool:

67 caprice
09-20-2004, 02:32 PM
ZOOPS It is the best. It will keep the aluminum shinny and new for a long time.
http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp

Brad
09-20-2004, 02:51 PM
This is the BEST stuff I've ever used. The guy used to send it out in an old plastic Mt. Dew bottle. It cut's oxidation fast and requires very little elbow grease (my fav. part).

Read the directions....Do not let it dry!

http://www.rebelsmetalpolish.com/index.html

Better yet, it comes with a 100%, money back guarantee!

He used to send out free samples too, may want to check into that if you are unsure of the product.

lt4malibu
09-20-2004, 05:31 PM
i use blue magic, and it works really good. you also should keep in mind, the more you clean your wheels, the easier it is to clean them. i polish the ones on my s10 once a month, and clean them off with a soft cloth and glass cleaner when i wash it once a week. it seems to work pretty good for me.

yody
09-20-2004, 07:35 PM
i don't know where to get the heavy metal, but it is the best stuff ive ever used, do a search on google. they are in oregon, i wouldn' be suprsied if their address was Heavymetal.com or somehting.

Jims78elky
09-20-2004, 11:33 PM
I like Mothers Billet polish,works real nice,just remember to wash your
rims when there cool,and not in direct sunlight...i also use the spray
wash cleaner also,if there really dirty.https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

CliffS
09-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Mothers Billet works for me. I have got two cars with TTII and don't use anything else..

Steve1968LS2
09-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Another vote for zoopseal.. good stuff but crazy expensive..

Another option is to have your wheels shoot with clear automotive paint.. this is the most optically clear but it will chip over time.. My HRE's were done like this and they were a pleasure to maintian.

You could have clear powder painted and while this is VERY durrable its not as optically pure..

The last option is just lots of time and elbow grease :)

68RallySport
09-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Or u could just go back to drum brakes and nothin would get dirty....
David

Jims78elky
09-24-2004, 05:33 PM
"Or you could just ride a skateboard":rolleyes:

jeffandre
10-12-2004, 10:13 AM
I use Blue Magic to polish my CCW wheels up every so often. I met a guy with CCW's who carried a can of SOS Window Cleaner in his car to clean his polished wheels. Sprayed it on and rinsed it off, then drove it for a few minutes, swears that it keeps them looking killer.

I will probably tro ZOOPS once I have the car ready for street duty.

Jeff