PDA

View Full Version : Best replacement door latch assembly???

Kmart78
04-24-2017, 05:08 PM
I have a 71 Camaro and the door latch assemblies are worn out so I ordered a replacement pair from OER and they are JUNK. Does anyone have any experience with other brands? Anyone have any OE assemblies in good condition for sale? Thanks

cwmusser
07-17-2017, 08:06 PM
It looks like you didn't get much feedback on this question of door latches. I'm currently going through the same thing where I decided to replace my OE latches due to internal wear and I don't know what to buy. I'm thinking of replacing the springs and continuing to use them if I can't get some positive feedback on whether they make any good ones. I have read about a lot of junk from both Goodmark and OER. Did you make a decision?? Thanks

Twentyover
07-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Ate you talking about the opening handle or the latch? Could using something like a Bear Claw from the Hot Rod guys work? Or even a latch ans striker bolt from a modern (newer) car?

http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Bear-Claw-Latches/Manual-Bear-Claw-Latches

Kmart78
08-09-2017, 10:44 PM
It looks like you didn't get much feedback on this question of door latches. I'm currently going through the same thing where I decided to replace my OE latches due to internal wear and I don't know what to buy. I'm thinking of replacing the springs and continuing to use them if I can't get some positive feedback on whether they make any good ones. I have read about a lot of junk from both Goodmark and OER. Did you make a decision?? Thanks

I haven't found any solutions yet. For now I'm using my stock latches, I blasted them and then greased them up real good. They work ok but the plastic latch guide is worn and doesn't "grab" the striker like I want.

cwmusser
08-11-2017, 06:16 AM
I ended up buying OER latches through Summit (they were the only ones listed as GM recognized replacement). They made a big difference in how tight my doors shut on my new stainless strikers. Well worth the small investment.