PDA

View Full Version : thoughts about wagons

Pro-touring towncar
09-19-2004, 05:43 PM
What is the general thoughts on wagons? cool / uncool / pro-touring material.

Thoughts
Ideas

Tim

PeteRR
09-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Depends on the sheetmetal.

Jagarang
09-19-2004, 06:54 PM
I really like the new Dodge Magnum. I also have a special place in my heart for vintage surf wagons/beach barges and of course Nomads.

TonyHuntimer
09-20-2004, 05:42 AM
Wagons can be cool. Get the body style you like, the chassis you want, and the room to transport stuff.

Way Rad Stay Wag!

:)
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

derekf
09-20-2004, 05:46 AM
2 door wagons are cool.

Not so fond of the 4 door wagons, especially those with woodgrain trim stickers. Too many childhood memories, I guess.

Geeto67
09-20-2004, 06:37 AM
When I was a kid, growing up on such famous NY street racing avenues as Francis Lewis Blvd, there was a guy with a 1970 Chevelle Nomad Wagon that was one of the baddest street warriors I have ever seen. The car was an original 396 4 speed car, with a full SS396 front end and white rally stripes over black primer, and was owned by a guy we used to call "Jimmy Chevelle" (not his real name). The reason I bring this car up is that after not seeing it for a couple of years, I saw Jimmy, with his wife and child in the car tearing it up in the left lane of northern blvd, just like the old days....and the car is just as awsome now as it was then despite showing it's age.

Now as a drag car wagons have an edge in weight placement over the rear wheels and therefore have better traction. But when you start to take a turn with the car, that weight placement advantage for launching off the line becomes a serious disadvantage as the weight traveling laterally in the rear will be greater than a sedan, hardtop, and (maybe) a convertable (a lot of weight goes into those top mechanisms). Be prepared to deal with oversteer.

That shouldn't stop you from making a g-machine out of a wagon but keep in mind there is an advantage and disadvantage to every body style. I think the best bodystyle wagon for a g machine would probably be a Chevy II or Falcon Wagon. A GM A-body wagon wouldn't be so bad either since there is a good aftermarket for A-bodies (as would a chrysler midsize wagon - coronet, satelite, or a ford torino/fairlane wagon). Fullsize wagons would probably not be a good idea past 1965 as these cars were extremely heavy (4000 to 5000 +lbs) despite big block power. The early 1960s to late 1950's fullsize cars might be ok, like a 1962 bel aire wagon might not be so bad weight wise, since they weigh about the same as a mid 60's a-bodies.

The good advantage of a wagon is they are usually cheap, but body parts are hard to find for any so make sure you start with a clean car. If you are not hung up by a 4 door, you might was well try and work a 4door sedan of a poplular muscle car body. I personally want to build one day a 1967 Chevelle 4-door undercover police chase car, replete with 4 speed, big block, refridgerator white paint, steel wheels with dog dishes, 1960's police scanner and shotgun rack.

So, what wagon did you have in mind?

TurboLark
09-20-2004, 07:42 AM
I'm really diggin' the wagon lately. in a year or 2 when I can dump my Altima, I plan to find a mid 60's 4door wagon to make my family car/business car. I need to carry samples and crap with me for work, so I can use the space. I'm figuring I can rebuild the mechanicals for alot less than the 40000.00 a new truck would be.

TRILOGYZ28
09-20-2004, 08:20 AM
i think wagons are sweet "pro-toured"
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

BRIAN
09-20-2004, 03:38 PM
Not sure if this will work 1st time posting pics. Yes wagon's are still hot. Here is my 62 Rambler Wagon with FI Vette LT1, full frame, 4 bar rear, mustang 2 front, etc , etc.

Pro-touring towncar
09-20-2004, 04:47 PM
I was thinking about the 92-96 GM platform wagons, caprice, roadmaster estate, or custom cruiser.
being it is the GM B-Body parts are plentiful, brake, suspension, etc. plus the 95-96 are equiped with the LT-1

Tim

Black Box
09-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Absolutely. Wagons are cool, they have that old-school SUV theory behind them, but they can be much more stylish, IMO. They're heavy, but that just gives you an excuse to build more power. :seizure:

How 'bout an early '70's Olds Vista Cruiser with a 455? Sounds kick ass to me.

JV69z/28
09-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Since I own a '55 Nomad I will say wagons can look cool - be fun to drive and very family friendly - but not serious pro-tourer's without a lot a work. They are big - have very poor body structure by todays standards and need lots of mods to be corner carvers. The frames have no cross bracing. The steering is vague. The seating position is poor. The bottom line - they can look very cool - drive decent - be very comfortable - but will never be a Camaro unless you upgrade the frame - see the Morrison chassis post. Just my thoughts - but at least it's coming from experience. I love to cruise my car but I can't wait to drive my '69 Z/28. Jack

Ralph LoGrasso
09-20-2004, 05:56 PM
I was thinking about the 92-96 GM platform wagons, caprice, roadmaster estate, or custom cruiser.
being it is the GM B-Body parts are plentiful, brake, suspension, etc. plus the 95-96 are equiped with the LT-1

Tim

A friend of mine's dad is building a 95 Caprice wagon. He did a modified impala front end, it's really cool. It's been in the bodyshop for a while now, he shaved the door handles, is doing suicide doors, shaved the roof rack, i'm pretty sure it's bagged too. I think next he's mini-tubbing for some 335's and is dropping in the 8.1 vortec bigblock.

BlazerSpeed
09-20-2004, 08:29 PM
wagons are badass always will be, but they are cruisers, Faux-Touring if you will. as was stated before, they would need serious mods to be truly track worthy, not saying its a baad idea, just kinda pricey i would think. Reminds me, my sister had a 1986 Buick LaSabre station wagon. That thing was the shagin' wagon! All brown metallic, with the fake wood paneling, crushed velour (sp?) from the factory, and power everything. Load it up with people, cruise out to the races, easily fit 9 people comfortably. couple serious problems with it though, and the 307 was really starting to dog out. she is still salty that my dad got rid of it, and that was roughly 3 years ago.
DEREK

TRILOGYZ28
09-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Not sure if this will work 1st time posting pics. Yes wagon's are still hot. Here is my 62 Rambler Wagon with FI Vette LT1, full frame, 4 bar rear, mustang 2 front, etc , etc.

brian......more pics of the rambler !!!!! :worship: :pics2: :pics2:

mikesz
09-21-2004, 04:28 AM

Tim

Look no further than our own cars section.

https://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Buick/John_Meier_96_Buick_Roadmaster/john_meier_roadmaster.htm

mike

Geeto67
09-21-2004, 11:06 AM

Tim

Probably a good basis for a car, bodies are cheap at least and parts are junkyard plentiful. There are two ways I could see you going on this:

1) budget: My local wrecking yard has scores of 9c1 police caprices with blown motors stacked up like cord wood. You could snatch all the useable suspension parts, and combined with new springs and bushings have a cool pro-budget ride for haulin the mail. Throw some bolt on speed parts and a set of rims and you are set. hae fun at the track days:

2) uber cool: Cage it, work the hell out of the suspension, and drop in an old school big block with FI (like a ramjet) or weird carbs (like a 3x2 setup or 6 Holley 94's). The weirder the engine the better (like a buick 455 or 401 nailhead in a 92 roadmaster). In this vein I think there are way too many impala SS styled wagons running around to keep any of the styling cues from the bad boy imp or the Lt-1. Personally I have a thing for the old hot rod look on new car body styles, So I say get a set of 18" torque thrust look alikes with massivley wide, primer the thing black, pinstripe the hell out of it (red and white von dutch style), chop the top (if you feel ambitious, if not it's ok) and go retro-touring. Don't forget nascar style exhaust or at least a set of in car header cut-outs. Take it to your local track day and watch them stare or run for cover (don't forget to paint teeth in the grill so as to really capture that 60's rat rod feel). You'll have all the cush of a wagon interior, the suspension of the imp SS or better, and the looks that scream I am different. How coudl you lose?

kustom71
09-21-2004, 12:37 PM
I have a friend whom i built a motor for who is building an 80's malibu wagon(i know so is everyone else here on the east coast)but his is now a 2 door with a 3/4 chop on the top.It seems like alot of work to me but he loves it and i havent seen any others on the street.If i can get a picture ill post it!

Kenova
09-21-2004, 01:44 PM
.......but his is now a 2 door with a 3/4 chop on the top.It seems like alot of work to me but he loves it and i havent seen any others on the street.If i can get a picture ill post it!
The thought of doing this has crossed my mind a few times, but it's a lot of work that I really don't think I have the abillity to do. PLEASE , post some pictures of it, under construction or otherwise.
Ken

BRIAN
09-21-2004, 03:50 PM
TRILOGY I will try and get some good pics when I roll her out this weekend. Just needs final cut and polish and minor trim finish. Should be 100% in a couple of weeks.

B Cichocki
09-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Wagons are one of my favorite types of vehicle... we've got 4 of them in fact. A '50 Olds Deluxe Woody, a '50 Olds Standard Woody, a '56 Ford Parklane (it's a 2 door, think Ford's version of the Nomad), and a '69 Olds Vista Cruiser. The Vista fits the faux-touring theme with the Budniks, but I've got all the Hotchkis and Baer stuff to go on it when the time comes. It's a really great car. Cruises like nobody's business. It's completely original (sans the wheels and exhaust), has the original paint, interior, drivetrain, etc... A little old lady in New Jersey bought it to take her friends to church and felt the need to order the high-compression 350, a turbo 400, and a 12-bolt posi. I drove it every day in high school (I'm in college now) and never had a problem.
-Brian

shmoov69
09-21-2004, 06:52 PM
well, I say wagons are cool. I actually wanted one BEFORE they became "cool" though! I found a 62 chevy brookwood about 12 years ago that I was trying to buy from the field, but could never get the guy to sell it to me. So I waited and got what I have now, a 58 Nomad (4 door)
would prolly suck turnin' corners unless you did a full tube chassis.
Jimmy

PeteRR
09-21-2004, 07:00 PM
I like the DeLorean-era Pontiacs.