PDA

View Full Version : t-stat questions

SYDEWAYZ71
11-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Well I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, so I'm gonna need some help. I just installed a manual trans in my camaro and the water temps stays much cooler than before (th350). The t-stat is 195* and the car never sees past 180* so does that mean the t-stat isn't opening and if so is that a bad thing? Should I slip in a 160* or 180* stat?

zbugger
11-21-2005, 12:11 AM
First of all, have you checked it to see if it's not stuck open? If it isn't, it could be something else. And I'm not smart enough at the moment to explain it..... maybe I shouldn't be posting right now.....

kamaroman68
11-21-2005, 06:16 AM
Could it be that maybe now that you have a manual transmission not sharing the radiator like the old th350 did. In other words the transmission you used to have Th350 has a separate transmission oil cooler built into the radiator that the tranny fluid flows through keeping it cool. The manual transmission is a self contained unit. Chris

kamaroman68
11-21-2005, 06:18 AM
I would probably switch to a 180 thermostat also. Chris

GBodyGMachine
11-21-2005, 01:51 PM
For older cars that are driven in warm climates and dont have to worry about emissions, thermostats are not always a necessary thing. I run a restrictor plate with an electric pump. I prefer plates over stats because they dont fail so you dont have to worry about it sticking closed and the engine over heating.

Jeff

SYDEWAYZ71
11-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Well I haven't checked to see if its stuck open so I guess I'll take a look.
I was running an auxiliary cooler not in series with the radiator so thats not a factor.
About the warm climate....not sure what you'd consider a warm climate so lets just say I drive my car all year long and it rarely gets up to 70* around San Francisco but now that I have the overdrive I'll be making some road trips soon. So maybe the restrictor plate could work... any opinions on that?

GBodyGMachine
11-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Like i said before, I like them alot, some guys will run a T Stat with 3 small 1/8in holes drilled in it so the always have SOME flow.

Jeff