PDA

View Full Version : Die Grinder or Air Saw or?

JMarsa
11-20-2005, 04:01 PM
I just picked up a parts car and I need to cut the quarters off of.

I thought about using an electric reciprocating saw but since they have a low strokes per minute I figure this would make the cut line wavy. So it seems an air saw or die grinder would be the better choice. I'd take it to a shop to have it cut off but it’s not worth putting back on a trailer.

Recommendations and thoughts?

Thanks,

--JMarsa

CAMAROBOY69
11-20-2005, 06:43 PM
I just use a grinder with 4" cutting wheels for all my sheetmetal work.

GBodyGMachine
11-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Or, if you are into buying tools, a PLASMA CUTTER. AHHH.
Or what I call air scissors, you just have to drill a starter hole.

JEff

70CaliCustom
11-20-2005, 09:24 PM
I've had great results cutting off rockers with an air saw. Cleaner cut than a cutoff wheel IMO. If I were you and had the cash I would go for the plasma cutter, never know when you'll need it. :drool:

JMarsa
11-21-2005, 04:07 AM
I've got neither an air grinder nor an air saw at the moment. A plasma is obviously my first choice but an air saw can be had for less than $200. I like to have practical tools I can get my use from.

Thanks all,

--JMarsa

CAMAROBOY69
11-21-2005, 04:22 AM
I would have also said plasma cutter as my first choice but most of us (including myself) just cant afford a goodie like that.

parsonsj
11-21-2005, 05:53 AM
JMarsa,

By air saw, do you mean a 3.5" abrasive cut-off saw (many call it a "whizzer")? Or are you talking about something else?

jp

JMarsa
11-21-2005, 06:05 AM
All,

Sorry for not being so clear, I meant a pneumatic reciprocating saw like these:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&pid=00919036000
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=SEARS&pid=00919668000

which have 10,000 spm as opposed to an electric which has about 2500 spm.

--JMarsa

JMarsa
11-21-2005, 06:31 AM
Another question, since I'm leaning towards a 10,000 strokes per minute (SPM) pneumatic reciprocating saw. If it consumes 4, 5.5, 7, or 8 CFM does than mean the lower (4) CFM of air cosumption at 10,000 SPM means it more efficient? There are many to choose from here:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?N=86+1624

--JMarsa

parsonsj
11-21-2005, 10:13 AM
OK, I've got one of those. They work great, but eat blades at an alarming rate. If you get one, keep 20-30 blades on hand or you'll be annoyed at 10pm or the weekend when you run out.

jp

Jim Nilsen
11-21-2005, 10:32 AM
If you don't mind the little sharp pieces a nibbler will do quick job of it all and those 60$ air shears will work too.

There are many air tools that will work and many electric tools that will do the job too. Air tools cost a lot of money to use and unless you are worried about saftey because of explosion or something, electric is the way to go to save money. A 40$ saber saw will cut a lot like the saw you are talking about,won't get into as many places but it is the same blade. A sawsall is a great choice to as long as you pick the right blades. They do make smaller blades for sawsalls like the ones for the sabersaw.
A Rotozip kit that has all of the diegrinder and angle gringer attachments will do so much you won't want to use another tool.

If you insist on listening to your compressor and want to turn electrical energy into air and spend the extra cost on it then the saw you are looking for is a good way to go. You can even get more compact models than the one from sears.

I know a lot of you really like the air tools but I just don't see the advantages all of the time. Once in a while I have to pull them out because the size of them is the only thing that will get into the space allowed. The little 3.5hp Black Max compressor that I started to build my car with is still working for the guy I sold it to and the Craftsman proffesional 2 stage I have now was only needed to keep up with my spray gun. Electric tools will run forever and usaually have more torque than most air tools.

I am not saying this to start an argument, just to clarify that not everyone needs to have a big compressor and air tools to build a car.

I really wish I had a plasma at times but the risk of starting a fire sometimes isn't worth using one. If you do get a plasma make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy or at least a bottle or bucket of water.

Jim Nilsen

JMarsa
11-21-2005, 12:08 PM
I want to reuse the quarters (and a wheelhouse too) and along with maneuverability, my main concern is tearing up the edge from a tool that doesn't have the "speed" or abilty to cut cleanly requiring additional prep to the cut edge.

--JMarsa

B Schein
11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
If you want to reuse the quarters I would suggest drill out all of the spot welds.

toxicz28
11-21-2005, 07:14 PM
I was parting out an IROC about two years ago, and someone wanted the roof of of it. This is what I used to cut it off (with a metal cutting blade).
http://www.stihl.us/construction/TS760.html
Let me tell you, it cut everything, including the quarter panel speakers through the magnets. The hardtop became a convertible in less than three minutes :icon996: :evil: :headbang: . You can rent them (or a similar model) at Home Depot. Cut it large to get it off of the car, then finish it up once its off with a hand grider, spotweld drill, sawzall, etc. Throw in Metallica's Master of Puppets cd and blast track 8*, it's appropriate.

*: track 8 is Damage, Inc.

SShep71
11-24-2005, 01:31 PM
If you intend to reuse the quarters an air saw, die grinder with a whiz wheel, or a angle grinder with a cut off blade are the only ways to go as far as cutting it. THe Nibbers make too wide of a cut, the same with the plasma (the kerf will be too wide), as for the gas saw ..no maneuverability (but they sure are fun). B shcein is right if you wanna do it, and you wanna do a professional job drill the spot welds out. Good Luck!