PDA

View Full Version : 1980 WS-6 Trans Am Suspention upgrades

Shawn01754
04-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Hi Guys, i have an old trans am kicking aroung. The good news is the 301 turbo is long gone. Its got a 1971 pontiac 400. With this car, id like to participate in some autocrossing just for fun. Im not sure what improvements were made to the trans ams over the years and how much of that can be salvaged on this car. I figured roughly a $3000 suspension budget (I can dig a bit deeper if warranted). So many options out there. I seen the hotchkis video of there trans am in the 600' run and i was impressed. Im also weighing the idea of coil overs in the rear. Does this car also need geometry correction control arms? Im sure the Camaro guys can teach me a few things. Thanks

Zspoiler
04-09-2017, 07:51 PM
It has a good suspension to begin with. With the big bars I believe 1 1/4 front ,7/8 rear.WS-6 springs..Add Poly-urethane grease -able bushings a god set of gas shocks ,Frame connectors.And then you can go from there ,I have a similar set up on my 1979 Z-28 RS Pro-Touring Car. With the addition of a Vette Brakes 1984 C-4 mono-leaf front suspension Of which they no longer make. But it is a god place to start.And you can make the
changes on the weekend.And is a lot easier on the pocket book. Good lick to you..

Shawn01754
04-09-2017, 07:57 PM
It has a good suspension to begin with. With the big bars I believe 1 1/4 front ,7/8 rear.WS-6 springs..Add Poly-urethane grease -able bushings a god set of gas shocks ,Frame connectors.And then you can go from there ,I have a similar set up on my 1979 Z-28 RS Pro-Touring Car. With the addition of a Vette Brakes 1984 C-4 mono-leaf front suspension Of which they no longer make. But it is a god place to start.And you can make the
changes on the weekend.And is a lot easier on the pocket book. Good lick to you..

Wow. Thats a great looking Z28. Are you runninh stock control arms?

rohrt
04-10-2017, 07:43 AM

X2

I would maybe look at ridetechs bushing and shocks.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1970-1981-camaro-streetgrip-system.html

Shawn01754
04-10-2017, 08:35 AM
I just found this article. Solid body bushings and sunframe conectors seem to make a difference http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-upgrade-your-second-gen-suspension-part-2/?