PDA

View Full Version : Caster & Bumpsteer related?

cdrod
04-03-2017, 10:07 AM
I'm building a '72 Olds 442 convertible; my front suspension is comprised of a stock lower control arm, +.5" lower ball joint, stock spindle & steering arm, +.9" upper ball joint, and SPC upper arm. I've read on the web (so it must be true-lol) that a +.5" lower ball joint will improved bumpsteer. It seems to me running more caster with a front-steer design like the A-body, will rotate the steering arm even higher. So here's my question, does adding more caster further reduce bumpsteer or would this make things worse? Thanks.
Rodney

killer69
04-03-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm building a '72 Olds 442 convertible; my front suspension is comprised of a stock lower control arm, +.5" lower ball joint, stock spindle & steering arm, +.9" upper ball joint, and SPC upper arm. I've read on the web (so it must be true-lol) that a +.5" lower ball joint will improved bumpsteer. It seems to me running more caster with a front-steer design like the A-body, will rotate the steering arm even higher. So here's my question, does adding more caster further reduce bumpsteer or would this make things worse? Thanks.
Rodney

with out having a bump steer gauge and actually measuring it you will not really know.
ride height caster settings all change tht bump steer. everytime you adjust one you need to re adjust the bump setting

andrewb70
04-03-2017, 06:24 PM
with out having a bump steer gauge and actually measuring it you will not really know.
ride height caster settings all change tht bump steer. everytime you adjust one you need to re adjust the bump setting

Blake,

Can you recommend some simple (read inexpensive) tools and procedure for checking bump steep? I am quite certain my 67 Cougar has quite a bit of bumpsteer and I want to see if I can address this in the near future.

Andrew

killer69
04-04-2017, 06:34 AM
Blake,

Can you recommend some simple (read inexpensive) tools and procedure for checking bump steep? I am quite certain my 67 Cougar has quite a bit of bumpsteer and I want to see if I can address this in the near future.

Andrew

This is the one we use
http://www.mittlerbros.com/one-step-bump-steer-gauge.html

but these actually look better and are less money DOH!!!

http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1710&pagetitle=Bump+Steer+Gauges

the procedure is quiet involved, and the kits will come with instructions. plan on a full day of measuring and playing with it, the shock and spring need to come out so you can cycle the suspension and then you will need a way to shim or space the outer tie rod end, the alignment will need to be set to the specs you will run first as well.

Ron Sutton
04-04-2017, 07:11 AM

Andrew

Hey Andrew!

We used to use individual tools to do caster/camber & a different tool to set toe. We'd use Joe's or Longacre Caster/Camber gauges, as well as their toe plates.

Since we tried the QuickTrick tools, that's all we use. One tool set does it all ... and both sides at one time. We use the #QTA90028 at my shop because it attaches to the wheel ... so you don't have to hold it! And then one person can set the toe by themselves. You can see them HERE (http://shop.ronsuttonracetechnology.com/shopping/?ic=6110).

:cheers:

CSG
04-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Mine is close to that longacre deal but made out of cabinet boards. Cheap and has proven to give repeatable results.

andrewb70
04-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Hey Andrew!

We used to use individual tools to do caster/camber & a different tool to set toe. We'd use Joe's or Longacre Caster/Camber gauges, as well as their toe plates.

Since we tried the QuickTrick tools, that's all we use. One tool set does it all ... and both sides at one time. We use the #QTA90028 at my shop because it attaches to the wheel ... so you don't have to hold it! And then one person can set the toe by themselves. You can see them HERE (http://shop.ronsuttonracetechnology.com/shopping/?ic=6110).

:cheers:

Ron...

The QuickTrick tool seems to be geared more toward doing an alignment and not so much toward checking bump steer....am I missing something? I suppose the car can be put on stands, suspension set to ride height without springs, and then measure the toe at various compression and rebound settings...Is that how it's done?

Andrew

Ron Sutton
04-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Ron...

The QuickTrick tool seems to be geared more toward doing an alignment and not so much toward checking bump steer....am I missing something? I suppose the car can be put on stands, suspension set to ride height without springs, and then measure the toe at various compression and rebound settings...Is that how it's done?

Andrew

It can be done that way. But for bumpsteer, we use a Joe's Tool. A little spendy for doing bumpsteer one time. But if you're dialing in Bumpsteer often, like we do, the Joe's bumpsteer tool is the way to go. See it HERE (http://shop.ronsuttonracetechnology.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=290544).

Ron