PDA

View Full Version : Rattle can Aluminum primer

paulk68
03-03-2017, 11:53 AM
What is a good rattle can self etching primer for a T-56 magnum? it is a new tranny what should i clean it with before primer?
thanks

rocketrod
03-03-2017, 01:40 PM
I had good luck with SEM Products

https://www.amazon.com/SEM-39683-Grey-Etching-Primer/dp/B000GTIRAU

HotRod47
03-04-2017, 05:11 AM
Just keep in mind that anything from an aerosol can is nothing more than laquer based and is a single component product. Personally I don't trust any of it. But, it is just the trans and will probably be fine.

I knew a guy that used a 1k primer on his all steel 32 Ford as a etch. Then spent 7 years and tons of $$ redoing the car. Only to have the paint start to fall off the car later on due to the improper initial priming.

kttrucks
03-04-2017, 07:06 AM
The exception to this is 2K rattle cans. I'm not working for Eastwood anymore, but they have a great product with 2K aerospray catalized products. about $25.00 per can, 48 hour pot life, great performance and durability.... Pro products in a rattle can, just sayin. CHeck em out. I'd go epoxy on the (cleaned) aluminm, then follow with whatever paint you choose. Anything with a catalyst is obviously better and stronger.

KT

HotRod47
03-04-2017, 09:18 AM
The exception to this is 2K rattle cans. I'm not working for Eastwood anymore, but they have a great product with 2K aerospray catalized products. about $25.00 per can, 48 hour pot life, great performance and durability.... Pro products in a rattle can, just sayin. CHeck em out. I'd go epoxy on the (cleaned) aluminm, then follow with whatever paint you choose. Anything with a catalyst is obviously better and stronger.

KT

Total agreement. Most people though when talking rattle cans are only thinking 1k, thats my concern.

astroracer
03-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Use a good wax and grease remover and some ScotchBrite to clean the trans before paint. There are some good self-etching primers out there in rattle cans, Rustoleum has one and you can get it at any box store. Use a self-etching primer and you won't have to worry about peeling later.
Mark