PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech coilover question

ragtop1968rs
03-01-2017, 04:08 AM
Hey guys, I'm building a car for my wife. It's a 65 beetle that I'm putting on a modified s10 frame. I have the ridetech universal 4 link and I'm about ready to order their strong arms and spindles. I'm wanting to drop it about 4 inches from the stock s10 height.I called their tech line to get a recommendation on the coil overs. He said he couldn't give me one with out weighing the car first which I can understand but even if I found a place with scales I don't have a way to drag the car there now. Also, I'm probably a year away from having the body all mounted and everything all mocked up. I want to get this sitting at ride height so I can get it all mocked up. I'm looking for suggestions on the shock length and spring rates so I can get something in there. It has a 6.0 LS iron block/4L60E. The motor is sitting about 6 inches back further than the stock s10 location. On the rear I'm thinking a 5" stroke with 150lb springs. There's not much weight in the back. Does this sound about right? Any ideas on the front? Thanks

Josh@Ridetech
03-01-2017, 06:59 AM
To get everything rolling, I would go ahead and get the control arms and four link installed on the chassis. Because it's a universal build, we'll want to get your shock measurements just to be 100% sure that we're selling your the correct parts for your build. To imitate the coilover, I would take some pieces of tubing or square stock and cut them to the length that sets your suspension up at the correct ride height, and then bolt them onto the shock mounts. You'll have a rolling chassis and then will be able to see how everything sits at ride height.

On this kind of build, it's really hard to guess what the spring rate should be without a total weight at least. I would try to get as much information as possible to make sure everything works like you want it to. http://www.ridetech.com/tech/spring-rate-calculator/

ragtop1968rs
03-01-2017, 07:53 AM
I'll do that. Thanks Josh.

Josh@Ridetech
03-01-2017, 07:54 AM
I'll do that. Thanks Josh.

Anytime. Let me know what you come up with and I'll help get everything picked out for you!

TheJDMan
03-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Just make up some simple struts out of tubing to bolt in place of the shocks for the time being. this will hold the suspension at the desired ride height.