PDA

View Full Version : any clutch reccomendations?????

67cougnut
11-18-2005, 06:44 PM
heres the deal my buddy is about to install his tko 600 in his 70 camaro the car has a 406 that dynoed at 540hp and 506ftlbs and the car is gonna have a 150-200hp shot of the juice and we cant seem to decide on wether to go with a 10 1/2 clutch or a 11" clutch and what brand to go with seeing as how the car is gonna have a good size shot of nitrous any and all input would help thanx again!

gwbutch
11-18-2005, 07:41 PM
With that much hp and torque, I'd go with a McLeod 12" setup and be sure to get a steel scattershield.

360820 - 12" Pressure Plate Summit $195.69
260873 - 12" Al/kevlar disk Summit $173.69
16505 - throw out bearing Summit $62.99
16908 - pivot ball Summit $48.69
560135 - 12" Al flywheel Summit $424.69

Hurst - Jeff
11-18-2005, 08:51 PM
McLeod Street Twin

Red Robert's (owner of McLeod) rule of thumb:
For up to 600 HP on carburated car, or 500 HP on a car with nitrous or blower) use 12" single disc, McLeod dual performance. The part #'s listed above.

For over 600 HP (carburated) or 500 HP (blown or nitrous) use McLeod Street Twin (twin disc).

Also (per Red) street driven performance cars should use steel flywhel, race cars can use aluminum.

gwbutch
11-19-2005, 07:33 AM
There you go. Red knows his suff and would point you in the right direction. Twin disks for the nitrous. McLeod has some top notch stuff! :cheers:

67cougnut
11-19-2005, 07:35 AM
With that much hp and torque, I'd go with a McLeod 12" setup and be sure to get a steel scattershield.

360820 - 12" Pressure Plate Summit $195.69
260873 - 12" Al/kevlar disk Summit $173.69
16505 - throw out bearing Summit $62.99
16908 - pivot ball Summit $48.69
560135 - 12" Al flywheel Summit $424.69

so i have to ask why u reccomend and aluminum flywheel cause i have heard two sides to it as far as a stret application goes the 1st is from a dead stop an aluminum fly whell likes to let the motor buzz up faster and the second i heard is when goign throught the gears an aluminum flywheel likes to lose moment so to say while shifting throught the gears cause we were thinkin of going with a billet steel in this situation but i also just thought that for a 12" application aluminum may be the only one available. thanx again

67cougnut
11-19-2005, 07:41 AM
McLeod Street Twin

Red Robert's (owner of McLeod) rule of thumb:
For up to 600 HP on carburated car, or 500 HP on a car with nitrous or blower) use 12" single disc, McLeod dual performance. The part #'s listed above.

For over 600 HP (carburated) or 500 HP (blown or nitrous) use McLeod Street Twin (twin disc).

Also (per Red) street driven performance cars should use steel flywhel, race cars can use aluminum.

well im glad to see one of the two places we are considering buying the tranny from is here on the board so i have a question he has been considering doing the kiesler tranny due to the fact it has some sort of modified tail shaft housing which will allow him to do no floor board modification and no shifter hole modification now i also see that u guys offer a complete kit for about 3800.00 dollars if he was to buy that kit ould u guys work up some sort of kit price which will allow him to get the clutch and flywheel he will need?and i also was wondering it is gonna be a auto to manula conversion so we would like to know if u guys have and pedal assembly cores around he could purchase and if u guys offer a hydraulic kit instead of using the 70s mechanicasl linkage feel free to email if ud like with some sort of round about figureas far as price goes andir u have any links those will help as well i may have jus ove looked them thanks again email: [email protected] thank u!

Hurst - Jeff
11-19-2005, 09:12 AM
67coughnut-

Thanks for considering us for your TKO kit. A few answers for you:
1) Our kits will give you stock shifter positioning within the stock console of your '70 without having to modify your tunnel or console in any way. I personally own a 1970 Camaro and have done this install myself several times. The McLeod bolt on shifter is second to none in terms of performance and durability for the TKO application. Read more here about this shifter:http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/TKO_500_TKO_600_recommended_shifter_positions.htm.
Here is some info on my install showing console pics etc:
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/tremec_transmission_1970_camaro_wu.htm.

2) With our kit, it is not neccessary to modify the transmission in any way to achieve perfect fitment. We STRONGLY beleive that if you do not need to modify a brand new TKO (unless it absolutely neccessary) to acheive proper fitment, that you should not modify it. Modifying the tailshaft will cost you more $ and adds no value to theTKO (in our view it can only harm it). With that said, we do modify TKO tails for fitment reasons only if it is absolutely neccessary (as for Corvette applications).
Here is some more info that may interest you:
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/important_tips_Tremec_Purchase.htm.

3) Here is info on our Elite kit for 70-74 Camaros - it includs clutch, flywheel, and scattershield for the $3800 +/- that you mentioned. The page below will also tell you about the details of the kit parts and the exact price of the kit. You can substitute the single disc for a Street Twin for an extra $275 +/-.
One of the benefits of our kits is that use all McLeod clutch parts (SFI approved scattershield, performance clutch disc and pressure plate, and SFI billet flywheel). The other kits out there do not offer McLeod components. Also, we use Inland Empire Driveline for our driveshafts and Energy Suspension for our transmission mounts:
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Elite_Transmission_Kit_67_74_Camaro.htm.

4) We do not stock clucth pedals an dlinkage becasue they are easily avaialble from company's like Classic Industries or Year One for about $199 (in kit format so you only need to order one part #). This is less expensive than we could sell them for.

5) We have all part in stock and we can ship them to the next day. We are always avaialble and eager to help with tech questions during your install - you can ask for me personally. Here are a couple of recent threads that you may want to check out for other's opinions:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66567&highlight=Classic+Chevy+5-Speed.

I think that about covers it - call us if you have further questions and we would be happy to answer them.

gwbutch
11-19-2005, 04:37 PM
I wasn't necessarily recommending the Al flywheel. I am leaning in that direction though. My thoughts are with the engine and amount of torque that I plan on making, 550 ft/lb or so, I don't think I would need the rotational momentum the heavier steel flywheel will give. So, taking of from a stop light shouldn't be a problem. I like the idea of quicker revs and lighter components. The steel flywheel will work with these clutches, but you do need the correct one. I just copied the parts list that I have. Good luck! :cheers:

67cougnut
11-21-2005, 08:02 PM
thanx again for all ur help he bought it from classic chevy 5-speed thanx again