PDA

View Full Version : 67 Camaro LS swap header fitment

snowhunter87
02-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Hey guys, I've got a 67 Camaro that I'm swapping for a friend. I have done 2 other LS swaps in 69 Camaros, but neither had long tube headers. We have got the Dirty Dingo Muscle Mounts, part number DD-62530S that work really well for placement. My question is does anyone have a set of long tube headers they know work with these mounts? Car has stock power steering box. Any help would be appreciated, I've been scouring pages of forums for the last couple days and cant find any solid answers.

BlackHD
02-24-2017, 10:29 PM
I know you're using dirty dingo mounts but have you looked into the hooker/Holley swap system?

Just another option.

Z06vet
02-25-2017, 05:29 AM
I've used dirty dingo engine plates (the 3 position ones) on several swaps, but am curious as to why you chose solid motor mounts. If it's mainly a street car, I'd go with a rubber or poly mount. Those solid mounts you are running look to have quite a bit of adjustment. I think that should allow you use the header of your choice, and fine tune it around your steering box (as long as the oil pan allows). I like stainless works the best. They fit nicely, are well made, tuck up nicely, and hold up better than any coated header I have used. I also vote for the holley swap parts, as suggested above.

Ishmael
02-27-2017, 03:21 PM
I don't vote for the hooker coated headers. They rust quickly.

67RSRAG
02-27-2017, 03:46 PM
I used the hooker coated headers with s&p motor mounts. They have been on for 8 years no rust on them. For the price you can't beat them. With the DD mounts you can make them work. I also have a lee's box that is a little smaller that helps with the fitment. If i were to do it today I would use American Racing headers they tuck up nicely. I found no difference with Stainless works headers they didm't fit any better or worse but were more expensive.

Ishmael
02-27-2017, 04:36 PM
My hooker ceramic coated headers started to rust the year after I put them on.

CarlC
03-09-2017, 10:41 PM
The Stainless Works headers fit quite well with the older ATS mounts. Depending on the offset the headers may fit with the DD mounts.

bs46488
03-15-2017, 01:15 PM
I did a swap in a Nova with powersteering (which technically should have the same front end)

I had good fitment with Dynatech. The horizontal pipe for #3 gave me the needed room for the powersteering box. They look like this:

icemanrd19
03-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Those headers would hit the floor before you could set the engine at the correct angle. Even my stainless works ones needed bent down about a inch to have my engine sit in the low 3 degree range

Z06vet
03-15-2017, 05:33 PM
The dynatech's actually fit pretty well. Tons of steering box clearance. My only complaint is they hang pretty low- below the subframe. And the flange is huge & catches on speed bumps, etc. We have put over 30K mi on the ones in our 68 firebird, and the only issue is that they are starting to rust where all 4 tubes merge before the collector. Any coated header is going to do that after time/miles. I prefer a slip on collector with single bolt band clamp. I'm still partial to the stainless works...

rickpaw
03-16-2017, 04:13 AM
The dynatech's actually fit pretty well. Tons of steering box clearance. My only complaint is they hang pretty low- below the subframe. And the flange is huge & catches on speed bumps, etc.

^^^ like Scott said. The Dynatech works fine if you have a fairly stock ride height. On my lowered Firebird (2" drop), they hit speed bumps/dips and everything you can think of on the road. I took mine off and replaced them with Holley's mid length headers.

I still have the Dynatech headers I'll let go for cheap if anyone wants it.

jeffbr33
04-16-2017, 06:55 AM
I have hooker/holley headers ,motor mounts,trans crossmember and a/c brackets and the motor is at 2 degrees, away from the firewall and headers tuck up nice and close to floorpan,might question the a/c brackets because it will try to throw the belt if you wind it up over 6gs

oleyeller
04-16-2017, 08:03 AM
How far does the pan hang below the crossmember and drag link with the Holley setup? Did you use the -2 pan?

Icemanrd19, -- Did you bend Stainless Works headers to fit or go a different route?

minendrews68
04-16-2017, 09:44 AM
I don't vote for the hooker coated headers. They rust quickly.

Amen brother!! Ask me how I know... I even broke them in according to their directions!