PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing firewall question

Kmart78
01-31-2017, 11:57 PM
I'm trying to get the firewall on my 71 camaro stripped and smoothed in prep for paint. I've already built a panel for the passenger side but the drivers side seems to have an awful lot of holes and unused brackets. Can anyone tell me the few holes I need to leave while plugging the ones I won't? The car will get an LS swap with automatic transmission and AAW updated wiring so I don't think I will need the factory hole for the fuse block. Besides the obvious holes I NEED to leave( steering column, wiper motor) what else has to stay? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this stuff!

dhutton
02-01-2017, 05:58 AM
AAW classic update kit uses the stock fuse block hole so I suggest you do not fill it. You will need the five holes for the brake master.

Don

Kmart78
02-01-2017, 10:07 AM
AAW classic update kit uses the stock fuse block hole so I suggest you do not fill it. You will need the five holes for the brake master.

Don
Thanks, forgot about the master cylinder holes.

woody80z28
03-03-2017, 06:01 PM
I did this too. I studded the steering column and gas pedal holes so I could fill them. I also relocated the wiper motor to behind the fender. I deleted the pass through at the top of the pass side and came through the tunnel instead.

amargari
03-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Below is what I had left after smoothing.

1 Wiper Motor
2 Throttle Cable
3 Brake Booster/Master
4 Clutch Master
5 Steering Column
6 Holes for mounting the gas pedal. (Should have welded studs on the inside)

I moved my fusebox wiring to come out in the cowl behind the fender.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2017/03/Underhood2JPG-1.jpg

sweet motion
03-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Gas pedal may be drive by wire- pedal may also mount to floor- check that- and there are companies that relocate wiper motor off firewall-clutch? Not if goin auto like 4l 60 or something else- I did my 69 and it's smooth- went vintage air also which is ALL behind glove box

Alponcho
10-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Another rookie with firewall smoothing questions (70 Firebird, Pontiac powered, T56). Not interested in perfectly smoothed, but want to clean it up and eliminate any unnecessary holes. Car will have vintage air (I'll use the kit's suggested pass through location), AAW kit, GPS speedo, welded in DSE brake and clutch MC bracket, factory pedals, factory wiper.

Should I leave open any of the holes labeled A-G?
Are H & I for the hard plastic carpet guard, and if so, do folks use that in these cars?
Any reason not to eliminate the speedo pass through (?1)?
Any reason to keep the flexible clip (?2, I'm assuming there are more attractive solutions)?
Anything else I should think about?

https://i.hmjimg.com/images/2019/10/24/Firewall-smoothing-1.jpg

Josh@Ridetech
10-28-2019, 04:41 AM
Another rookie with firewall smoothing questions (70 Firebird, Pontiac powered, T56). Not interested in perfectly smoothed, but want to clean it up and eliminate any unnecessary holes. Car will have vintage air (I'll use the kit's suggested pass through location), AAW kit, GPS speedo, welded in DSE brake and clutch MC bracket, factory pedals, factory wiper.

Should I leave open any of the holes labeled A-G?
Are H & I for the hard plastic carpet guard, and if so, do folks use that in these cars?
Any reason not to eliminate the speedo pass through (?1)?
Any reason to keep the flexible clip (?2, I'm assuming there are more attractive solutions)?
Anything else I should think about?

Perfect time for this question as I just did this exact thing a few weeks ago.

A-F: I filled in all of those. They were just used as mounting locations for wire loom clips and other small factory pieces that aren't going back on the car.
G: I left just in case I needed to route something through the firewall. I figured at some point I'll probably need a hole down there to bring some wiring though.
H-I: I plan on using the plastic guard so I left these. I didn't like the holes but there wasn't much of an option to mount it any other way. I'm sure some guys don't use it, it's just preference though!
1: With that one being as low as it is and will be hidden for the most part, I left that one and plan to put a body plug in it.
2: That flexible clip deal was one of the first things to go on mine. Cut one spot weld and that ugly piece was on the floor.

I also filled in that small square hole below the wiper motor. It was the mount for the choke cable.

79 Camaro
10-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Just a note on my 68 C10 fuse block. I did smooth mine. I used a Painless wiring kit. After I filled the hole, I made a 90 degree bracket to hold the new fuse block just far away from the firewall so I could route the wires going forward and back over the steering column and out near the start of the bell housing at the firewall. Just made a hole big enough for the wiring harness. That allowed me to route all the wiring along the frame rail front and back. You can't see any of the chassis wiring.