PDA

View Full Version : 1969 mustang paint scheme

gazda520
01-06-2017, 04:31 AM
Car is finally ready for paint. It is a 69 fastback, with DSE front and rear suspension and a Kaase 557 stack injected big block. The entire car on the bottom has been hand crafted. Only thing original is a little of the fire wall. I am painting the car ruby red metallic, however I want the engine bay body color as well. My question is do you guy think I should paint the underneath of the fenders and the wheel wells body color or black like Ford did? Is using bedliner or some sort of texture a no no in terms of showing the car? My painter claims that it will destroy any chance of winning anything and suggests we paint it and then in the future we can always go over it in bedliner or similar. Need opinions badly

67greengt
02-09-2017, 04:50 AM
The car sounds awesome!! You won't be disappointed with the DSE stuff, they are second to none. If it were mine I would do the under side of the fenders/wheel wheels black, not sure the undercoat is a no no, but it will help with some sound deadening and help with rock dings. What are your plans for the car? If you plan on driving it, I wouldn't hesitate to put some undercoating on there, if its just for show, then perhaps wouldn't put any on. With regards to having undercoating on ruining chances of winning something, I would say thats debatable... A lot of the pro builders have used undercoating... just comes down to what do you want to do with the car..

Anyways, thats my two cents
Tom
67 Fastback Roushcharged coyote, DSE quadralink, Baer Brakes, Roadster Shop IFS, T56 Magnum Stage 2, DYAD and the list goes on...

Car is finally ready for paint. It is a 69 fastback, with DSE front and rear suspension and a Kaase 557 stack injected big block. The entire car on the bottom has been hand crafted. Only thing original is a little of the fire wall. I am painting the car ruby red metallic, however I want the engine bay body color as well. My question is do you guy think I should paint the underneath of the fenders and the wheel wells body color or black like Ford did? Is using bedliner or some sort of texture a no no in terms of showing the car? My painter claims that it will destroy any chance of winning anything and suggests we paint it and then in the future we can always go over it in bedliner or similar. Need opinions badly

HotRod47
02-09-2017, 05:35 AM
I would suggest using the body color on the entire engine compartment, but matte clearing it instead of full gloss. Tons of Pro builders are doing that now. I have recently done it on the build in my signature. I like the idea of not being stock black like Ford did, but wanted the engine to be the jewel when opening the hood and not wanting it to compete with the full gloss f it were body colored and glosses.

The inside of my fenders are going to be done in a SEM or Upol spray bed liner for chip and stone resistance. Gonna do that before they get bolted on for the last time. As for the fender wells, on the engine side they will stay body colored, and the wheel side will as well for now. If I find after a year or so its too hard to keep clean or is chipping up I will bedlinen them as well. But only the outside wheel side of them.

While I hope my car is well received when done this spring, if a judge doesn't like it because I am going to make it "drivable" in reference to the bedliner material then thats there problem, not mine. I'm not building the car to win a plaque or trophy somewhere. If they can't appreciate that the car was built to be driven well then so be it.

Build it for you and not for the judges. Not that I think you are chasing trophies, I'm just saying...........

gazda520
02-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Glen/Tom thanks for the insight and great opinion. both of you are correct my purpose is to drive it and really if there is a judge out there that has a hard on about the gravel guard then that is his problem.

John