PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen camaro rearend into a 2nd gen firebird

ih8z28s
12-31-2016, 12:11 PM
Friend of mine offered me a FREE 10 bolt out of his 67 Camaro, it has 3.08 gears which I'd like to put into my 80 Trans Am which has 2.41 gears. From the little searching I've done on the web it seems they are not the same length and the spring perches are at different locations, my question is can I swap out the entire rear axle? our should I just swap the gears?

BonzoHansen
12-31-2016, 03:04 PM
That rear is narrower and weaker then the one in your second gen, and the perches are in the wrong place. You cannot use the guts from an 8.2" in the 8.5" in your 2nd gen. Move on.

Z06vet
12-31-2016, 03:38 PM
Agreed, sell the 67 10 bolt & put the money toward new gears for your existing rear end.

Skip Fix
01-01-2017, 10:11 AM
For yours get a new Eaton posi 2.7-up carrier and you will be much better off. Use a 30 spline carrier and 30 spline axles and you'll make it even stronger!
If factory rear disc and getting new axles and keeping stock style hubcentric wheels you will need to gt axles from Dutchman or weld/machine longer brake pilots on the axles. Mosers are not long enough to engage the wheel with the thickness of a rotor. They need to be .700-.750 long for the rotors. Drums I guess are much thinner or maybe the Mosers even barely engage the wheel on them.

ih8z28s
01-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info guys, guess I'll pass on it

BonzoHansen
01-03-2017, 06:14 PM
For yours get a new Eaton posi 2.7-up carrier and you will be much better off. Use a 30 spline carrier and 30 spline axles and you'll make it even stronger!
If factory rear disc and getting new axles and keeping stock style hubcentric wheels you will need to gt axles from Dutchman or weld/machine longer brake pilots on the axles. Mosers are not long enough to engage the wheel with the thickness of a rotor. They need to be .700-.750 long for the rotors. Drums I guess are much thinner or maybe the Mosers even barely engage the wheel on them.

Crap. I never heard that before. I just built my rear this fall, used moser axles. Discs come next year, i guess i'll find out.