PDA

View Full Version : Best T56 Magnum Hydraulic System and Mount?

Dave95Z28
12-13-2016, 01:34 PM
I will be installing a T56 Magnum in my 69 Camaro behind a LSA motor. There are multiple options for the hydraulic systems (Mount/Master/TOB) from American Powertrain, Bowler, Hurst Driveline Conversions, Mcleod, etc. I am looking for input about which system folks chose and why. Does one offer an distinct advantage over the other? Is a fixed GM TOB acceptable or is it better to get an adjustable TOB? Or have people been buying T56 Master Cylinder mount from DSE or others and piecing together a system?

I will likely be using a Mcleod RXT Twin Disc clutch, maybe a Centerforce DYAD and a Quicktime Bellhousing if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the input,

David

72Z/28
12-13-2016, 11:52 PM
Keisler used to have a very nice Hydraulic Clutch Actuator set up when they were in business. I have heard that their products have been aqcuired by another company. If I am not mistaken, the company is called rally sport direct.

SilverOverdrives
12-14-2016, 06:49 AM
Keisler used to have a very nice Hydraulic Clutch Actuator set up when they were in business. I have heard that their products have been aqcuired by another company. If I am not mistaken, the company is called rally sport direct.

Thanks for the mention and it's actually Silver Sport Transmissions. We'd be happy to help!

Jeff

72Z/28
12-14-2016, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the mention and it's actually Silver Sport Transmissions. We'd be happy to help!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for chiming in and for the correction. I have the Keisler Hydraulic Actuator kit insalled with the TKO600. Now I know who to approach in case something goes wrong

LonnieJ
12-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Subbed:) I am interested in this too! Lonnie

FJ4JAKE
12-18-2016, 02:28 PM
I used the American Powertrain set up on my 67. I have had good luck with it so far. Love the feel of the hydraulic clutch. Very short amount of travel. Whichever you one you end up with... make sure you get all of your ratios correct.. and maybe reinforce your firewall where it mounts....

Yelcamino
12-18-2016, 03:16 PM
I had the American Powertrain kit on my El Camino with a TKO600. It worked, but I didn't like the feel. I just finished swapping in a T56 and I used the Bowler TOB kit. Today was the first test drive and now the clutch feels like a modern car. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with it!

badazz81z28
12-18-2016, 06:21 PM
This one with an OEM bearing is the best out there and an absolute direct bolt on and uses off the shelf parts. I have used both APT and Keisler and I feel MS is superior. APT is too universal and Keisler wasn't well supported on the firewall and even worse....too many "proprietary" parts. If the bearing took a dump or the hose started leaking or damaged you have to get it from Keisler.

http://www.shop.meanstreetsperformance.com/Camaro-Firebird-Hydraulic-Billet-Clutch-Bracket-MSP-BCB.htm

sheck44
12-20-2016, 03:41 AM
Contact Vince at Mean Streets Performance ... I am VERY happy with my setup
Cheers
Steve

LonnieJ
12-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Contact Vince at Mean Streets Performance ... I am VERY happy with my setup
Cheers
Steve

They are out of stock on his website?? I sent him a email and am awaiting his reply:) Thanks! Lonnie

TheJDMan
12-20-2016, 09:50 PM
Personally, I don't buy into all the hydraulic clutch hype. I have seen far too many hydraulic clutch systems that have taken a dump at just the wrong time putting the vehicle completely out of commission. Big Red is just one example that comes to mind. I'm running an old school Z-bar mechanical system with my T56 Magnum and Quicktime bell, modified with link rods equipped with rod ends. The Z-bar system is bullet proof, costs less, is easier to install/setup and works every bit as well as any hydraulic system out there.

LonnieJ
12-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Personally, I don't buy into all the hydraulic clutch hype. I have seen far too many hydraulic clutch systems that have taken a dump at just the wrong time putting the vehicle completely out of commission. Big Red is just one example that comes to mind. I'm running an old school Z-bar mechanical system with my T56 Magnum and Quicktime bell, modified with link rods equipped with rod ends. The Z-bar system is bullet proof, costs less, is easier to install/setup and works every bit as well as any hydraulic system out there.

I initially was thinking the same thing Steve! However, I started researching how to install a LSA/T56 magnum into my 69 Camaro and started to buy in to the hydraulic clutch hype:( I haven't ever been around a hydraulic system and like the idea of keeping it simple! I am running an aftermarket front subframe with a rack-n-pinion steering which should make clearance for the Z-bar to fit better? Would you mind sharing the details/ PN#'s of how you made it work in your car? I would appreciate it very much:) Your car is awesome by the way! I toyed with running a full aftermarket frame from Schwartz like you, but in the end couldn't make it fit in the budget:( Thanks for your time:)

Lonnie