PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know of Icon Customs from Aberdeen North Carolina?

hp jnkey
11-29-2016, 12:33 PM
Been talking with the owner George about getting them to build a tubbed LS pro touring Camaro for me
but I don't know anything about this shop.
I think they are in Aberdeen NC.

Just putting it out there to see if anyone might have heard of them and if they are legit
an worthy?
I'm a newbee in these circles.

Appreciate it

SoulJah72
02-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Been talking with the owner George about getting them to build a tubbed LS pro touring Camaro for me
but I don't know anything about this shop.
I think they are in Aberdeen NC.

Just putting it out there to see if anyone might have heard of them and if they are legit
an worthy?
I'm a newbee in these circles.

Appreciate it

First off. They do good work, but they take too damn long to get anything done!

Do not take your car there unless you plan to get your car in three years or more.....AND your car still won't get done. George will add extra B.S. charges if you decide to stop your build early, and get your money because he's already spent it (I have proof and I still feel like beating the **** out of him).

All you have to do is ask his employees (discreetly of course) approximately how long the 1966 Ford Mustang (the Sunburn Orange looking one with Boss 338's), the F100 (Gray), and the Yellow Dodge been in the shop (all over three years). The F100 is close to being completed, the 1966 Mustang Fastback is far from completion, and the same goes for the Yellow Dodge. There's alot of unfinished cars in there and your car won't be a priority even if you pay upfront (happened to my dumb ass). George's excuse will be that they're waiting for parts.

The shop goes through employees in the body shop on a constant basis because of the terrible work environment. They will take parts from your car in order to build other cars and (my MSD Distributor from a 396 Chevy Big Block I sold) all of a sudden went missing.

I would reccomend going to a car show and networking from there. ICON isn't the only show in town and they church the icon customs website up big time (Don't believe a thing). George makes himself look better off than he really is. He probably tell you that he owns the GT40 and the Ferrari in the front shop (He doesn't). You don't need to trust me. However, do your homework and don't fall into the trap. You'll save yourself a whole lot of headache's.

slimjim
02-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Whereabouts are you located? I hate stories like the one above, and mine is minor in comparison, but I know of a couple good shops in NC, I also clearly know of a couple bad ones unfortunately.

Cougerbait1976
02-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Everything mentioned before is true and it even gets worse. Some projects have been there 4,5,6 and even 10 years. George has moved to several shops in the past and had unfinished projects tagging along. Your project money will go to fund all the other 30 plus over due projects.

hp jnkey
02-21-2017, 10:11 PM
I never got a warm and fuzzy from this guy right from the start.

I've been talking with Steve at Midnite Auto in NC, he seems to really know his stuff.

Any news about them?

ArmyVet
06-28-2017, 10:40 PM
First off. They do good work, but they take too damn long to get anything done!

Do not take your car there unless you plan to get your car in three years or more.....AND your car still won't get done. George will add extra B.S. charges if you decide to stop your build early, and get your money because he's already spent it (I have proof and I still feel like beating the **** out of him).

All you have to do is ask his employees (discreetly of course) approximately how long the 1966 Ford Mustang (the Sunburn Orange looking one with Boss 338's), the F100 (Gray), and the Yellow Dodge been in the shop (all over three years). The F100 is close to being completed, the 1966 Mustang Fastback is far from completion, and the same goes for the Yellow Dodge. There's alot of unfinished cars in there and your car won't be a priority even if you pay upfront (happened to my dumb ass). George's excuse will be that they're waiting for parts.

The shop goes through employees in the body shop on a constant basis because of the terrible work environment. They will take parts from your car in order to build other cars and (my MSD Distributor from a 396 Chevy Big Block I sold) all of a sudden went missing.

I would reccomend going to a car show and networking from there. ICON isn't the only show in town and they church the icon customs website up big time (Don't believe a thing). George makes himself look better off than he really is. He probably tell you that he owns the GT40 and the Ferrari in the front shop (He doesn't). You don't need to trust me. However, do your homework and don't fall into the trap. You'll save yourself a whole lot of headache's.

I'll second most of the above and add that the Wheels from Valor program that they tried to start was just a get rich quick scheme for themselves. They received quite a bit of stuff from unsuspecting companies (Edelbrock engines, Tremec transmissions, Street or Track suspension systems, etc...) and it didn't go to the Soldiers as the benevolent companies intended.

They have several different businesses operating there; the latest, Old Glory Tactical. In places that used to be for working on cars. This place is criminal and the authorities should probably pay them a visit. Before a bunch of angry veterans with PTSD do.

Duece2
08-26-2017, 02:35 AM
I am a Veteran and I fell into the trap. I took my car there and got a call from an inspector at the DMV's License and Theft Department. They have taken my car as evidence for some type of chop shop violation. I am out of thousands, and my childhood car for which it took me 30 years to purchase. Apparently, they build you a new mustang body and then removing and apron panel or vehicle identification number from the original car and place it on a rust free car. The inspector from the DMV states in North Carolina this is not legal. I guess instead of repairing or replace the parts on the original car, he discards the owner request to restore the rusted car in need of repairs and build a rust free car the new supply of panels or sheet metal and the just swaps the vin numbers. This is certainly not what I expected from the beginning or the build.

I have been trying to call for days to ask about my car, but I have not gotten any response. All I wanted was my childhood dream car to be restored and now my almost 25K and the car is gone.

Gocanes6
08-28-2017, 09:21 AM
I am a Veteran and I fell into the trap. I took my car there and got a call from an inspector at the DMV's License and Theft Department. They have taken my car as evidence for some type of chop shop violation. I am out of thousands, and my childhood car for which it took me 30 years to purchase. Apparently, they build you a new mustang body and then removing and apron panel or vehicle identification number from the original car and place it on a rust free car. The inspector from the DMV states in North Carolina this is not legal. I guess instead of repairing or replace the parts on the original car, he discards the owner request to restore the rusted car in need of repairs and build a rust free car the new supply of panels or sheet metal and the just swaps the vin numbers. This is certainly not what I expected from the beginning or the build.

I have been trying to call for days to ask about my car, but I have not gotten any response. All I wanted was my childhood dream car to be restored and now my almost 25K and the car is gone.

My car has been there for two years and I've been trying to get in touch with them for two weeks now with now response. I'm looking into any action I can take to at least just get my car back. If you have any other information or would like to somehow work together let me know.

ArmyVet
08-30-2017, 11:00 PM
My car has been there for two years and I've been trying to get in touch with them for two weeks now with now response. I'm looking into any action I can take to at least just get my car back. If you have any other information or would like to somehow work together let me know.

Be sure to inform the Fort Bragg Provost Marshall so that they can be added to off-limits establishments list.

I too am out quite a bit on my project after several years of lies.

Shoot me PM if you are interested. I'm working something currently.

Also, Rocky and the owner of the owner of the building (Not the Fredericks) seem to only have access right now. George has been locked out, so I'm told. If you car is there, get with the investigator and he can assist.

1960Catalina
08-31-2017, 06:27 PM
I'm a former employee of this crooked shop. If any one needs testimony in court about this shop, I myself and another former employee are willing to help out. This is not George Fredericks first run in with creating shops, taking money and then folding. While I was there, he started a pyramid scheme for car parts and an app. Most of the down payments for clients projects funded these ideas, which failed. This guy gives car builders, like myself, a bad rap and he needs to be held accountable......

carhoney
10-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Does anyone have an update on this scum and his scum family, has anyone contacted an attorney? What charges are they facing. Let me know what I can do to help. He started another company at his home Redline Auto Exchange, 1927 Juniper Lake Rd West End, NC same phone number from Icon..Here is info in case you havent heard:
http://abc11.com/automotive/aberdeen-car-restoration-shop-under-investigation-by-dmv/2464546/

http://www.thepilot.com/search/?sd=desc&l=25&sort=relevance&f=html&t=article%2Cvideo%2Cyoutube%2Ccollection&app=editorial&nsa=eedition&q=icon+customs

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/123277-Anyone-Know-of-Icon-Customs-from-Aberdeen-North-Carolina?highlight=icon+customs+Llc

https://www.bbb.org/raleigh-durham/business-reviews/auto-restoration/icon-customs-in-aberdeen-nc-90286675/reviews-and-complaints?section=complaints

carhoney
10-27-2017, 07:13 AM
contact jt carpenter dmv investigator 910-309-7550 cell

carhoney
01-15-2018, 11:19 AM
you can also contact the Aberdeen Police Department, if we don't do something he is going to walk and we will all be left holding the bag while his POS family spends our money!

carhoney
02-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Run don't walk away form this man and his crooked family! If he owes you money get your Ducks in a row and make your claim! He won't have the funds once he is in jail, license plates don't pay.

http://sandhillssentinel.com/owner-icon-customs-arrested-chop-shop/
http://www.thepilot.com/news/aberdeen-businessman-facing-chop-shop-charges/article_fe2cb300-078f-11e8-a5ce-7bb5a2e31aab.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next

ilovecars6676
03-19-2018, 01:20 PM