PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for welding classes???

BB69
11-15-2005, 06:28 AM
I decided I am going to take a TIG welding class. The local community college offers one, but it filled up immediately why I was trying to get admitted (stupid paperwork). Anyway, the next class won't start until the fall of 06. Are there any organizations that offer classes? I live in the suburban Detroit area.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

B Schein
11-15-2005, 09:04 AM
I know some of the local welding supply companies teach classes back home In Maryland.

Matt@RFR
11-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Yep, that's a possibility, but community colleges are generally your only choice. Also, I've never seen a welding class dive right into TIG. usually it's stick, gas, MIG, then TIG.

[rant]

I know there's good teachers out there, but I've never come across one. If they are good enough to teach you the correct way to weld (big IF), then they probably think that their technique is the only way to do it. If you have a teacher that won't let you do things your own way, while still staying within your parameters and making sound welds, adress the issue with him, or leave the class once you know the basics!

[rant/]

BB69
11-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Matt, the CC offers all the other techniques, but I have a decent amount of experience with gas, stick, and MIG. Don't get me wrong, I am no expert. However, the welding I do with my MIG is all mild steel and I feel I can get a nice strong weld with a good wire and shielding gas. However, when I move to TIG and welding AL, stainless, or moly, it's obvious to me that filler rod, gas, prep, are all much more important. I just feel like I need to spend some time learning the correct welding setup so I can make a strong, durable weld.

I have my eye on some used machines, and maybe I will get a machine and spend some time practicing until the next class opens.

Thanks
Ken

toxicz28
11-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Try this
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/training/weldschool/
Or see if there is a BOCES in your area

BB69
11-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks, I will take a look into the Lincoln class. I have passed their building a couple of times. I'm going to try and see what their 2006 calendar looks like.

Ken

G Machine442
11-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Ken,

Check Out

WCC, they have one of the finest welding setups for a community college. (in Michgian) they offer Tonss of welding classes. U of M Team used the welding students at WCC to weld up some of the Past solar cars....

If you havn't done any welding I would highly recomend

WAF 105 Welding for Art and Engineering

Course Description:
This is a basic welding class. No welding experience is necessary. Oxyacetylene (welding and cutting), arc welding and soldering and brazing are explored with hands-on training provided. Students work on class competencies, at their own pace, beginning with safety practices and set-up in each area. The welding lab has individual work stations for a no waiting to work and a safe atmosphere. Students are given personalized instruction on every class objective to help with their mastery of the art of welding.

They also Introduce you into TIG in this class...

www.wccnet.edu

BB69
11-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Ken,

Check Out

WCC, they have one of the finest welding setups for a community college. (in Michgian) they offer Tonss of welding classes. U of M Team used the welding students at WCC to weld up some of the Past solar cars....

If you havn't done any welding I would highly recomend

WAF 105 Welding for Art and Engineering

Course Description:
This is a basic welding class. No welding experience is necessary. Oxyacetylene (welding and cutting), arc welding and soldering and brazing are explored with hands-on training provided. Students work on class competencies, at their own pace, beginning with safety practices and set-up in each area. The welding lab has individual work stations for a no waiting to work and a safe atmosphere. Students are given personalized instruction on every class objective to help with their mastery of the art of welding.

They also Introduce you into TIG in this class...

www.wccnet.edu

Thank you. I just completed my online application. I just have to show them now that I have actually been to college before so I don't have to take their entrance exam. They have a huge number of classes, and their TIG class is only listed as 2 credit hours. That makes up for the extra cost because I'm not in their district. Thanks for pointing me there. It looks like I am going to take a Saturday class. :cheers:

Ken

70RT/SE
11-21-2005, 06:23 PM
I know some of the local welding supply companies teach classes back home In Maryland.

Brian,

What companies in Maryland offer them? I would be interested in taking some classes. Thanks for any info

Herb

stealth71
12-28-2005, 07:50 AM
I am signed up to take a class here in Central Florida. It took about three months on a waiting list, but I finally get to start on 1/9. I just need some instruction and someone to tell me what I am doing wrong. I have a 110 MIG at home, I need to learn MIG and TIG. I want to buy a TIG sometime in the future. Maybe make some spare cash on the side.

BB69
01-07-2006, 09:46 AM
I headed for my first class this morning only to get stuck in traffic. We had an ice storm this morning, and the roads were horrible. I lost count of the vehicles rolled over in the ditch. I spent over 4 hours driving to and from school only to get there an hour late and the room was empty. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait for next week. I'm pretty bummed, I was excited to get started.

Ken

69lt4
01-25-2006, 03:52 AM
I took one of the welding classes at WCC. Great facility and staff. I was taking the class to just learn and not for credit. They let me experiment and accomplish some of the things I wanted to get out of the class.
The welding class changed the direction and the amount of money I wanted to spend on the car. DSE frame connectors, DSE mini-tub, DSE firewall, DSE cross member.....Kyle and the guys really twisted my arm once I had the welding bug....
Kevin

BB69
01-25-2006, 05:25 AM
I got to weld with the TIG for the first time last weekend. I will get some pics up. We started on aluminum. I passed my first objective, butt welds in horizontal position, and am working on the lap weld. I am amazed at how much filler rod has to be put into the weld with AL compared to steel. I am still trying to learn how to feed the wire with my thumb and forefinger instead of stopping and getting a new grip on the filler rod. Like 69lt4 said though, the school has great facilities and equipment. They have 20 TIG welding stations with either Miller Synrcowave 350's or Lincoln Precision 375 machines. I can't wait to back in there this weekend.

Ken

Todds69
01-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Congrats on the classes, I want to do the same thing here in Indiana. I just need to get my welder first...saving up my nickels and dimes.

BB69
01-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Congrats on the classes, I want to do the same thing here in Indiana. I just need to get my welder first...saving up my nickels and dimes.

Todd,
You may want to take the class first for one reason: you will see what you really need. For instance, I am looking for a TIG with plans to do AL welding at home. I had heard I would need 300 amps for the welding I was planning on doing. Well, to weld the 1/8" plate we use for samples in class, the instructor had me set the output to 140 amps. The AC balance was set to just about an even balance. With this setting, I got plenty of penetration in the butt weld without the pedal fully depressed, and also good penetration on the lap with the pedal fully depressed. So, it looks like I can widen the range of welders I'm looking for. Just a thought. The best part about class is having an unlimited supply of metal, filler rod, and shielding gas to use. Thats stuff can really add up when you're practicing. I made something like 30 butt welds in one class and went though maybe 20 filler rods. Good luck with it; I would recommend taking a class to anyone.

Ken

derekf
01-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Started my class last night and I'm pretty pleased so far. Not too sure about where y'all are at, but my instructor told us that if we go to any of the local welding shops and mention that he's our teacher, we'd likely get a decent discount. If your area is anything like that, then there's a good reason to start with the schooling first.

BB69
01-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Good point; my local dealer gave me a discount this past week when I finally broke down and bought a welding jacket. He's always been a good guy, but the discount was new.

Ken

homerneedspeed
01-25-2006, 10:45 PM
hey derek where do you take your classes, i'm in north dallas and collin county community college dosen't offer any welding classes.

derekf
01-26-2006, 04:24 AM
I'm going through Eastfield, which is the Dallas County Community College location in Mesquite. I don't know that Richland or Brookhaven (which are likely closer to you) offer welding or not.

homerneedspeed
01-26-2006, 08:56 PM
cool, thanks. i may just go to lincoln's class it seems it would be the easiest and fastest.

Verboten
11-13-2009, 05:42 AM
cool, thanks. i may just go to lincoln's class it seems it would be the easiest and fastest.

I am within a daily commute from Lincoln's facility and I am really interested in this! Did you ever attend their classes?

Thanks