PDA

View Full Version : Rack and pinion steering..

TurboLark
09-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Anyon have/make/buy or know where to get a rack and pinion steering setup for a GM A body? I'd like to get rid of all that linkage, and could use the room where the box is for other stuff.
Thanks.

TurboLark
09-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Noone with any insight to this? I've searched the web, but the only place sofar has been BRP hotrods, but they tell me they only did the year one chevelle and never sold any kits.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Steeroids might make a kit. A lot of people don't like their kit for a pro-touring car due to the bump steer issues. I'm not sure if they've resolved those problems.

TurboLark
09-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Steeroids might make a kit. A lot of people don't like their kit for a pro-touring car due to the bump steer issues. I'm not sure if they've resolved those problems.
They dont make an A body setup. Looks like I will have to research the dimensions of my car and the racks out there and see which ones work best.

astroracer
09-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Check out this site...
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13
Diagram "F". This is what you'll need to know to find a rack that'll work.
Mark

Richz68
09-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Maval is a huge supplier of racks for alot of the OEM's and they are just begining to attack the classics and streetrod market. They just released a kit for the 55-57 Chevy's that is out of this world! I know that they are developing a F-Body kit now that will address the bump-steer of the Steeroids, but it is not done yet.

Call them at 330-425-9080 or their website at: www.unisteer.com

Little Bob
09-20-2004, 12:00 PM
You can one from http://www.flaming-river.com/

Just send them a email with your needs. They have a lot of steering components.

TurboLark
09-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks for those links. Lots of good info there. I'm hoping to be able to use a mustang rack, since i have a couple of them laying in the shed. I've found one article sofar using a stang rack, so it should be able to be done. Positioning it correctly is where all the fun begins.

Marcus SC&C
09-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Probably the main reason no one is making a kit of A body is that the angle between each LCA inner pickup axis converges toward the front of the car. That necessitates a very narrow rack. So narrow that you`d have very limited travel and the input shaft would end up going through the oil pan and headers. Bummer huh? It`s very similar to the problems I`ve run into trying to do the same thing with the G chassis. What we need is a small steering reverser that would let us run a Z-24/Beretta GT R&P. They use central pivots (2" apart on center) and fixed ends. It would be easy to mount a pseudocenter link to it with the inner tie rod ends exactly where you want them. The Total Control R&P kits for early Mustangs do pretty much the same thing but they`re rear steer (the linkage is behind the wheels) just like the donor car. Using it in front makes the wheels turn the wrong way. Doh! If anyone finds a box to reverse the rotation of the steering input shaft let me know,I`ll have a kit ready in a month. :) Marcus SC&C

SS Drifter
09-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Here's a guy working on one right now: Chevelle R&P (http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=008176;p=0&r=actu)

Marcus SC&C
09-30-2004, 06:29 PM
I checked that thread out and the guy has some good ideas and good intentions but the software he`s depending on looks like it calculates bumpsteer by the length of the parts alone,not by their locations. The rack he`s using is between 8"-10" too wide for 0 bumpsteer (measured between the inner pivots and depending on how far forward of the crossmember it is). If he gets the height dead on the bumpsteer will be less than stock but not that much and still worse than many factory cars. It can eliminate the built in bumpsteer penalty of the B swap so overall it may be worth it for his car and it should work decent if he can keep the steering shafts from feeling lumpy with 90* of total u-joint angle... Having done a lot of custom R&P swaps myself I still don`t feel it`s worth it. Same conclusion I came to when I mocked it (with the same Mustang rack,does everyone have these laying around? ;) ) up for a customer several years ago. He went with an AGR steering box instead. Not that it won`t work,it`ll work decent but IMO not enough better to be worth all the work and $$$. It`s really great to see people trying new and different stuff though! Marcus SC&C

David Pozzi
09-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Mark, sounds like you need an Austrailian rear steer rack!
Then put it in front and flip it upside down.
David

Marcus SC&C
10-03-2004, 06:07 PM
That`s the kind of brilliantly twisted thinking that made this country great! Okay,the search is on for an Aussey "Cavalier" rack. :) Marcus

spanky the wondermuffin
10-04-2004, 08:38 AM
marcus can you provide a link to your catalog that bypasses the flash intro?i've tried to access your site but it says i need a plug-in that i have tried to download and install but without success.

Marcus SC&C
10-04-2004, 05:56 PM
I`m sorry but the entire site is done in Flash. It turns out that may have been a bad call...they`re having a hard time getting the resolution set so that everyone can view it properly. Some browsers and resolutions make the site look very small and hard to read. :doh: If there`s anything you`re interested in specifically you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I`d be happy to answer any questions or send you pics. Sorry for the inconvenience! Marcus SC&C