PDA

View Full Version : New paint cleaning question.

minendrews68
11-05-2016, 05:41 PM
I got my car back from paint Thursday afternoon. They had it from 9/27 to 10/3. Did an excellent job in record time, my question is sitting in my garage it (of course) gathers dust and fingerprints. What liquid can I spray on a microfiber rag to go over the new paint. Really don't want to use anything with wax or silicone yet. Water isn't as good at getting off the finger prints. Your suggestions are needed..

Thanks,

Kevin Campbell
11-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Meguiar's final inspection works well. Others that are similar are fine also. They seem to have a light lubricant to prevent scratches as well as a little glaze. I use them after polishing to clean the panel to look for imperfections and missed spots, but have a customer who has only used them and no washes for 8 plus years. Paint still looks like when I delivered it.

dhutton
11-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Sprayway glass cleaner. I get it on eBay. Great stuff....

Don

minendrews68
11-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Never thought about the spray away, I get mine either at Wally world or Sams. We use it on everything around here, just never thought about using it on paint.

dhutton
11-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Never thought about the spray away, I get mine either at Wally world or Sams. We use it on everything around here, just never thought about using it on paint.

Pros on the SPI forum use it on fresh basecoat to remove tape and stencil residue.

Don

minendrews68
11-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

mc84_zz4
11-21-2016, 12:50 PM
I would suggest the detailer sprays as a first choice. If you have anything tacky from tape, fresh asphalt, bug guts, you can spot clean w WD40, the wipe it and apply the detailer spray.
If there is anything like tree sap, use a clay bar, and the detailer spray to lubricate the surface, use a micro fiber for wipe-down.
My favorite stuff is Griots Garage, their clay bar is a bit larger than the others, and their speed shine works great with it.

www.griotsgarage.com

minendrews68
11-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Thanks Dave, It' s just been painted about two weeks now and stays in the garage for most of the time until I can get it put back fully together. Right now it's just dust mostly. I tried Don Hutton's ideas and use the Spray Away glass cleaner with a micro fiber rag. Once I'm driving it more I'll have to go with the detail products.

kush69
11-22-2016, 05:17 PM
After you clean it you can put a coat of presta fast wax its breatheable goes on easy and comes off easy we use it in the body shop all the time !