PDA

View Full Version : hello. new to the forum. introducing myself and looking for advice!!

Camaromark68
10-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Hello everyone, the name is Mark, I am from Ontario Canada.

A little about myself. I have been working with cars as a hobby sincw my early teens, now in my early 30s.

The Car... about 12 years ago I picked up a 68 Camaro... the car had been completely gutted by the previous owner and back halfed. He even cut a portion of the pristine rear fenders as he was going to build a pro Street car. I was into drag racing at the time and thought that was the way to go... boy was I wrong.

Life got in the way and the project sat.. Now I'm starting . The problem is, the guybefore me had gotten a good start on the pro street direction.. But I obviously want to go the pro touring route.

Here are the questions I have.. The main one being.. The former owner had a competition engineering 4 link set up welded (tacked together) set up for 16 " wide slicks.. Mocked up to a narrowed Ford 9 inch with koni adjustable coil overs ..

My thoughts were.. Use and modify the 4 link to be a bit wider and maybe go with 12 " wide tires, he had the frame connectors to connect to a stock front frame. I still have the front frame and was thinking of building full frame from the competition engineering rear to a front sub frame with a pro touring bolt on kit on the front.

I am open to suggestions as I am in the planning stages at this point. The car also has a 6 point roll cage, and a fibreglass tilt front end. Right now the car is in about 200 pieces

Thanks

Mark

sheck44
10-30-2016, 02:19 AM
Hey Mark ... welcome !!
There are a few guys in Ontario/Toronto area that have a ton of experience and can certainly help you out. Where are you located ?

Just a couple of comments ... I'm not that familiar with the 4 link stuff but if it was for drag I'd likely ditch it and start fresh but keep the coil overs and the 9". There are sooo many options today
The other point I'm going to mention is if this is going to be a street car I'd remove the roll cage. Insurance will be vary hard to get, and forget Hagarty, they won't touch you if you have one meaning you'll have to get regular insurance and thats going to be waaaay more $$

Cheers
Steve

raustinss
10-30-2016, 05:55 AM
Yep what Steve said ....welcome btw . Tell us where you are ,Steve and I met thru here as well as a few other ontario boys

andrewb70
10-30-2016, 08:46 AM
Welcome...

Andrew

Protour_Pinto
10-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Welcome! Do you have pictures of your project?

Camaromark68
10-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Hey all thanks for the comments and advice.

Im near Owen sound. I'm going to try to find out how to upload photos and I will show everyone the project as it sits!

Glad to be part of the forum

raustinss
10-30-2016, 05:24 PM
OK btw ....the attack suck lol go rangers

Camaromark68
10-31-2016, 09:00 AM
Lol the knock at the Attack doesn't bother me. I am originally from the north Bay area. I'm more of a fan of the Centennials / battalion

raustinss
10-31-2016, 03:38 PM
Good lord not sure that is much better lol...cheers

Peter Mc Mahon
10-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Hi Mark. I'm down south of you near the little town of st George/
Glen Morris area. Sounds like a good project you have, get those pics up!

Camaromark68
11-06-2016, 04:43 AM
Hey I hope this works.

One pic of the project as it sits now. Old owner gutted it. With plans to pro street it. He wanted to stretch the rear fender wells to fit big slicks.. but he cut solid fender wells to do so.. ugh.

Still open to suggestions on direction I should go

raustinss
11-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Pro-touring is the way to go...at least the car is usable... unfortunately to do that you'll need to start fresh

XLexusTech
11-06-2016, 05:48 AM
So if I had to do it over again I would look for a super clean body to start with it took me years to get to a rust free complete body... would have spent the $$ up front to find that... if you have more tine then $ then first step build a body cart to build/ cut from

Camaromark68
11-19-2016, 07:34 PM
Hey everybody i have been crazy busy with work and havent been checking in like i should..

Been mulling over the whole build idea.. I like the look of the pre fab full frame pro touring frames available.. but not willing to sink the 20 ish grand they seem to be going for..

Is there a cheaper route? Any way to build one of these cars on a smaller budget? Should i make a full frame out of a stock front clip and something for the rear?

Camaromark68
12-01-2016, 06:34 PM
anyone?

slimjim
12-02-2016, 02:26 AM
Speedtech protouring subframe and torque arm will be less than half of that

sheck44
12-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Mark ... PM'd you
Call me

cheers
Steve

minendrews68
12-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the site! I've seen people start with a lot worse than your car. I know, just ask me how I know lol. I'd go with what you have and have fun with it. Like stated before, there's a few people in your neck of the woods that I feel sure would help you with just about any questions if asked.

Carl