PDA

View Full Version : 1969 camaro upper ball joint angle looks wrong?

sixty9camaro
10-27-2016, 04:18 PM
Hi all , Iam new to doing mods to the front suspension of my 1969 camaro. I got a set of SPC a-arms with tall ball joints and viking coilovers.

I used the stock GM spindles first , then tryed a set of 2'' dropped spindles. The angles of the upper ball joint looks wrong to me. What do you guys think?

I am try to get the Camaros front end to come down a few inches. The coilovers are set at the lowest setting.

I looked at few tall spindles , some people are saying It could be a problem running a 15'' tire?

Rod
10-27-2016, 04:50 PM
looks fine, your at full drop, that isn't the arms angles at ride height

sixty9camaro
10-28-2016, 09:05 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I should've mentioned that when I took the pictures, I had a floor jack under the lower a-arm holding up the car. Wasn't at full drop.

Now I took off aftermarket a-arm and installed the factory a-arm to take pictures of the angle of the upper ball joint to show you all.

One of the pictures shows the camaro at full drop. The angle doesn't look bad to me with the factory a-arm on.

Just worries me that there's binding going on and afraid of ball joint failure.

There's not a part number on the SPC A-Arms. How do I find out if I have the correct a-arms? I lost the invoice.

Anyone out there have upper SPC A-ARMS on 1 Gen Camaro? Any measurements?

dhutton
10-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Mark is the guy for SPC arms:

http://scandc.com/new/node/73

Don

csouth
10-28-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure these arms are meant for tall spindles as SPC 94305 states they are. The stock control arm with the droop can be used with either the stock or the dropped because the pickup point is in the same location, the change is the spindle pin location. The tall spindle raises the pick up point with in turn gives you camber gain and uses the control arms like the SPC uppers you have there.

I heisted this pic from the net, but you can see the difference between a stock and tall spindle which would reduce the ball joint angle with the SPC arms and stock ball joints.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/10/olds_cam_spindles_zpsamhouhra-1.jpg (http://s897.photobucket.com/user/csouth89/media/olds_cam_spindles_zpsamhouhra.jpg.html)

Then you have the Ridetech tall dropped spindle, you notice where they moved the spindle pin location as dropped spindles do. Its all about getting the components that work together.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/10/spindle_zpsmuq7xusi-1.jpg (http://s897.photobucket.com/user/csouth89/media/spindle_zpsmuq7xusi.jpg.html)

simon455
10-28-2016, 10:51 AM
this angle should be checked with ride height adjusted and full vehicle weight, the spc arms are very straight in design when compared to more formed arms like speed/ride techs, dse, global as well as many others. They just look like a
"generic" a arm. Dont think you will see that angle with most of the other arms mentioned.

csouth
10-28-2016, 03:08 PM
this angle should be checked with ride height adjusted and full vehicle weight, the spc arms are very straight in design when compared to more formed arms like speed/ride techs, dse, global as well as many others. They just look like a
"generic" a arm. Dont think you will see that angle with most of the other arms mentioned.

You must not be familiar with SPC arms, they are definitely not generic. The are adjustable arms that eliminate the need for alignment shims.

OP you should also be able to use these with a tall ball joint and stock height spindle. As Don said contact Marc at SC and C, he is a valuable resource when it comes to SPC products.

simon455
10-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Not familiar at all, never came across them in any car, not bashing the product by any means. Just what I see on the picture. Pretty sure it's a well build piece by the looks of it.
A guldstrand mod will be a bit helpful if you want to still tweek your ball joint angle if it will be visually off at ride height and full weight. Ideally that angle should be closer to straight it at ride height.

sixty9camaro
10-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Thanks to all have replied to my post . I will definitely call Mark at SPC .

I've been reading some reviews about 1 Gen Camaro builders not being able to use 15'' tire with the use of tall spindles.

Reviews that said the relocation of the upper ball joint cause tire rubbing with 15'' tire, also the relocated tie rod ball joint too close or touching the rim.

I would like to know if anyone out there is running a tall spindle with a 15'' tires?

Rod
10-29-2016, 11:05 AM
that isn't the arms angles at ride height

just saying it again.....you won't get ride height with a wood block and a jack on an empty shell car, remove the springs and you should be able to view the correct angles then

dhutton
10-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Adjust the arms to be the same length as the stock arms. Looks like they are as short as they will go...

Don

BonzoHansen
10-29-2016, 07:41 PM
just saying it again.....you won't get ride height with a wood block and a jack on an empty shell car, remove the springs and you should be able to view the correct angles then

Adjust the arms to be the same length as the stock arms. Looks like they are as short as they will go...

Don
+1x2 What these guys said.