PDA

View Full Version : Hypertherm plasma cutters

RaceMan
11-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone can tell if there is any difference in cutting thin metal with a 1/2in rated machine to a 1/4 machine. I'm thinking of buying a hyperthem 600 just in case i need to cut anything 1/2in sometime but i only need the 380. Also if anyone can tell me about hypertherm i know alittle but not to much, like can you get parts easily,any support, any info would be great thanks.

Matt@RFR
11-13-2005, 01:31 PM
The way to use a plas for most things is to leave the amperage turned all the way up, and just vary your travel speed to suit different thicknesses. 80 amp machines RIP through 1/8" plate. :)

Hypertherm makes outstanding machines and has excellent service and support, although you probably won't need to use those services.

SShep71
11-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I use a Hypertherm Max42 its an older machine about '89 ish and I can cut through 1/2" with no problem, I have to turn the travel speed down. I use it for alotta things, plasma comes in handy for alotta things. DOnt buy a machine with the "incase I ever need to" mindset. It wastes alotta money, and in the end you never or hardly ever use it for that "Incase" project. E.G. I bought a $2,000.00 Mig that with run up to 5/64" mig wire, I have yet to use the 5/64 wire, I never even got above 1/16 inch. Buy a plasma that will handle a decent load and a set of oxy acetylene torches to handle the bigger stuff.

RaceMan
11-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys thats what I was looking for. I'm sure your right SShep71 about the incase thing its about $500 more than bigger machine but I've always belived in overkill I just got to make up my mind. They want $1200 for the 380 and $1700 for the 600 I think the prices are ok ??? . Thanks for your help

Matt@RFR
11-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Wow, I've never heard anyone argue for buying the smallest machine you can get away with. Often times that's how it works out due to finances, but damn. Concerning plasma's, if you can afford it, definetely get the bigger machine, no question in my mind. I bought small because of money, and regretted it on the 2nd job I used it on. It cuts, but it's painfully slow, and they don't cut well when you get into their top end range of thickness.

RaceMan
11-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Thats funny I was just looking at the speed of the machines and saw how much faster the 600 is , I think thats what I'm gonna go with the $500 is'nt the big deal. My biggest concern was if the bigger one would do a good job on thin stuff and I think that you answered that Thanks!!

SShep71
11-15-2005, 01:15 PM
If you can afford it get the bigger machine. I guess is one of those things where the type of work I do makes the diference. Matt your right about getting the biggest machine possible. Im just used to using an OxyFuel set up for must of my jobs, alot of the time I cut steel in excess of 1 1/2". I just have yet to see a plasma cut through 6" steel.

Matt@RFR
11-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I've cut a lot of 2" mild steel plate on an old pantograph with Oxy/Propylene. Fun stuff, unless it's summer time! So yeah, I know where you're coming from, and is a valid point if the work Mr. RaceMan had the potential to go that big.

RaceMan
12-06-2005, 06:13 PM
well I finally did it found one on e-bay (hope I get it) for 1424.00 with a set of gloves and goggles thats about $300.00 less than the local welding store had it on sale for , the guy has an e -bay store so I guess its ok ??

can't wait to try it . Thanks for the help guys

David Pozzi
12-11-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a half inch capacity Miller and tried to cut 3/8" plate on an angle. It was a mess and super slow. Wish I'd bought a bigger one.

J2speedandcustom
12-20-2005, 02:14 PM
I just picked up a Hyptherm 600 last week. I can't believe how underrated this machine is! I would recommend to anyone. :icon996:

Modo Innovations
01-01-2006, 08:30 AM
My next door neighbor just got a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 last week. I used it last night just playing around. That thing is awesome, it will cut 3/4". He needs a bigger air compressor now.

PT Dave
01-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I just fired up my Pro-Cut 55.
Holy Crap !! Cuts metal like it was butter...
I've heard that the Hypertherm and Miller units are
very good but needless to say...I am a happy camper !